Emergency Road Supply Kit

Conn47D24

Curious as I dream of getting on the road regularly.

What do you carry with you?  Trunk kit of tools etc ?

Would appreciate hearing from you about this, and any stories of times you WISHED you had something with you and why.

Go

These are always in the car:

• In the glove box:
    • Spare 6v light bulbs.
    • Red bicycle flashing lights with mount to attach to rear bumper arms.
    • Flashlight
  • Behind the rear seat:
    • Tire jack.
    • Tire/lug bolt wrench
    • Tool Wrap containing
      • Pliers
      • Bailing wire
      • Screw driver
      • Crescent wrench

Always on my person when driving:

• Cellphone
  • AAA card

If on a longer trip (>100 to 200 miles) I usually but not always put my main mechanics tool kit in the car. If I am thinking straight, a set of overalls so my regular clothes are protected if I actually have to work on the car.

Since I have an early 1930s sedan without an accessory trunk there is very little storage space other than the back seat or the floor in the back seat area. For longer trips the rear seat is where the luggage goes which tends to block access to the tools. So the best and first “tool” is simply to make sure the car is in good condition before heading out.

• Like 1

A simple cheap multi-tool that I toss in the glove box has gotten me home at least a couple of times.  Collapsible pliers. Pocket knife. Screw drivers. All part of the one tool. It stays in the car as it easily has proven its worth.  No need to buy a good one. Someone else may like it more than you. 

3F0CD280-D373-43E6-9EC9-7D7146633000.jpeg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Nothing, and up until recently that included a spare or a jack.

I thought about reporting this malice. Lol. 
I like to think I carry minimal too. However recently I really could have used some safety triangles.  Flirting with Disaster Molley Hatchet said. 

A fire extinguisher is a must for me too. After climbing the big hill home earlier this year. Raw fuel spewing out every carb orifice, all over the super heated exhaust manifold. I figure I was 5 degrees from spontaneous combustion. Ever since then I keep a good sized extinguisher in the trunk. 

• Like 2

Funny thing is, I carry more emergency stuff in my 2019 Chevy work truck than I do anything else.  No, I am not a first responder, lol.  But I don't take the 51 out into the oil patch where it's a 10 mile hike to cell phone reception. 

I guess it means I have complete faith in my mechanic, or I'm a blithering idiot.  Since they are both one and the same I don't have to go far to find the culprit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here is most of what we packed for the 2,400 mile run up to Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories, on the shore of the Beaufort Sea and as far north as one can drive in Canada's Arctic.

As it happened, our only troubles were a bad fuse (internally-open) and worn out generator brushes. We had fuses of course and I was thankful I threw the parts car generator in the trunk just in case.

D3 Tools copy.jpg

D2 Safety:towing copy.jpg

D4 Shop supplies copy.jpg

D1 Fluids copy.jpg

D5 Spare parts copy.jpg

D5 Tires copy.jpg

L1b Tuk Ice road weights copy.jpg

J6a -28F -33C copy.jpg

L7a Tuk End of land copy.jpg

L1g Tuk Ice road deep crack copy.jpg

• Like 4

I like the idea of a bicycle flashing red lite as my Cranbrook does not have 4 ways(YET)! Along with the obvious spare tire, jack, fire extinguisher(required at some car shows), I also include a tool box with a set of short open/box wrenches, flashlite, electrical/duct tape, lengths of wire, pliers, rags, pts./cond./coil,(which includes a 15/64 ignition wrench), oil and coolant for long trips, test lite and I'm sure that some things I have forgot. Preventative maintenance is the key! Two times that I have been stranded were both related to the distributor, one time the small bolt that holds the wires to the points came out(actually found it in the dist.) another time , the primary wire in the dist. had a strand of wire shorting to ground. Both fairly easy and quick fixes, just at inconvenient places.

Happy motoring.  

• Like 1

I've done zero motoring in my old car, but in my junk of recent vintage, I always carry an assortment of stuff to tie other stuff down---zip ties (they make them tiny to huge), bungee, rope, heavy duty ratchet moving straps. Emergency poncho. Usual assortment of engine fluids. 

This thread is inspiring me to up my emergency toolkit game. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anyone mention stuff to plug up holes...I think I'd include some rad leak stop, JB weld, a couple different flavors of Permatex gasket maker glop. I'd also toss in a cheap volt-ohm meter.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ratbailey said:

I've done zero motoring in my old car, but in my junk of recent vintage, I always carry an assortment of stuff to tie other stuff down---zip ties (they make them tiny to huge), bungee, rope, heavy duty ratchet moving straps. Emergency poncho. Usual assortment of engine fluids. 

This thread is inspiring me to up my emergency toolkit game. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anyone mention stuff to plug up holes...I think I'd include some rad leak stop, JB weld, a couple different flavors of Permatex gasket maker glop. I'd also toss in a cheap volt-ohm meter.

Again, preventative maintenance goes a long way for trouble free driving, but I am new to this game!!!

Small set of hand tools, spare tire, jack, tire iron, tie wire, wire ties, about 5 feet of 12 gauge wire, VOM, duct tape, electrical tape, spare bulbs, fan belt, oil, coolant, paper towels and hand cleaner. When several of us go on a more extended trip, we divide up things like a spare distributor, spare generator, and spare starter motor. I have set up my tools in a bag that I move between our 51 Cambridge and our camping trailer as both need the same tool setup.

• Like 1

I carry tools (torque wrench!) and nearly all the NOS or reworked spare parts I have behind the spare wheel and between the rear axle and seat:

distributor, generator, Voltage regulator, Pertronix ignitor, starter, solenoid, water pump, cyl head gasket on a plank, other gaskets, gas pump, DOT 5.0 brake fluid ...

I can install all these parts on route (better: in Hotel garage) with no help. I don´t carry my spare brake cylinders, because anyhow I could´n´t help  myself with brake repair.

Why? -

1.) it is annoying to be 1000 km from home needing a part you know you have in your garage at home! I had this 2007 needing a set of distributor contacts in France.

2.) space behind the spare wheel is otherwise useless for me

3.) space in the garage is scarcer than in car :))

Most important: dues for ADAC (Car Help) are always paid- the tow Vintage Cars home, not to the next available repair shop.

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go

• Like 1

spare dizzy cap, points condensor rotor, plugs already capped, Fire extinguisher is in the back seat area. Have mounted two bicycle red rear flashing lights attached to the license plate. I use these even during a day time run. I have reflective runners reflecting wraping that snap over the rear bumpers. These are not the stickon type and can be removed to wrap around your arms and legs if you are stuckonthe raod at night time. Big battery flashlight.  twopieces of wood incase the jack has to sit on wet ground to make a better footing for the jack. Sizzors jack with long crank handle, Go to Harbor Freight and get the plastic trim removal tools these are great for getting your hubcaps off the rim without scrating the paint onthe rim.  regular set of tools, I carry a tool called the Snapgap. It is used to help set the point with out having the points be on the highspot on the dizzy cam. Large truck road reflector folding type normal assortment of hand tools.  Cell Phone and membership to AAA or some other towing national service.

Best of all is to know your car.

Rich HArtung

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 9:52 AM, desoto1939 said:

spare dizzy cap, points condensor rotor, plugs already capped, Fire extinguisher is in the back seat area. Have mounted two bicycle red rear flashing lights attached to the license plate. I use these even during a day time run. I have reflective runners reflecting wraping that snap over the rear bumpers. These are not the stickon type and can be removed to wrap around your arms and legs if you are stuckonthe raod at night time. Big battery flashlight.  twopieces of wood incase the jack has to sit on wet ground to make a better footing for the jack. Sizzors jack with long crank handle, Go to Harbor Freight and get the plastic trim removal tools these are great for getting your hubcaps off the rim without scrating the paint onthe rim.  regular set of tools, I carry a tool called the Snapgap. It is used to help set the point with out having the points be on the highspot on the dizzy cam. Large truck road reflector folding type normal assortment of hand tools.  Cell Phone and membership to AAA or some other towing national service.

Best of all is to know your car.

Rich HArtung

Rich, 45 yrs. of turning wrenches for a living, never heard of Snapgap tool. Back in the day I was able to set the gap by eye, check with dwell meter, be spot on. Now I have to remove the dist. just so I can see what I'm doing!!! Will be ordering a Snapgap tool. Thanks for the tip.

Not real hard to set the gap in the car. 

Pull cap and rotor.

Roll the engine over by pulling on the fan till the points are fully open.  If need be you can pull the plugs to make it easier.

Check gap with feeler gauge, adjust as necessary.

Reassemble cap and rotor.

Check with dwell meter.

Done

JqyaiJ1vlwr4XLZt3cw3VbGsXiVFEd_Xe38tzxuO

Picture of the snap gap tool. There are sleeves that fit the appropriate dizzy cam. You slip the sleeve over the cam. Then use the appropriate setting tool with the adapter. This tool is great since you do not have to have the points being exactly on the point of the cam to se the points.  You then adjust your points. then pull out the sleeve and you ar set to go. Makes it much easier if you have to make an emergency points adjustment.

One of these units is currently on ebay. I have have one in the car since our dizzy is so low in the engine compartment, it makes it easier to make the adjustment.

I have a couple, One in the car and one in the tool cabinet.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.3117a3afe366909ec3e2676c5f89ab5a.pngimage.png.c85e1d4f4ceb3fdcfa2f531a7e5a0b01.pngimage.png.de3ca49c52aba80d959025e6ded3f74a.png

image.png

• Like 1