Snap-on Tach/Dwell MT816B question

p15-1948

Wondering if anyone has one of these, Snap-on MT816B.  Looking at one online and it has three connections rather than two like my old (non-working) Sears unit.  I'm going to guess it hooks to 1. pos side of battery, 2. neg side of battery, and 3. hot side of the coil.  Can anyone one confirm, haven't been able to find any instructions online for this particular model.  Thanks

Black and red wires to battery...

The third...green? To the distributor terminal of coil or directly to the distributor terminal.

• Like 1

I own the exact same dwell/rpm tool. 

To clarify, the 3rd connection, hook it to the wire from the coil that travels to the points. Clip it on to the little screw at the coil. 

Other 2 connections to the battery as Dodgeb4ya said.

Be sure and hook up the unit (all 3 connections) before turning on the key,  or firing up the engine.  Otherwise Tach won’t work on your 6V system. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2