Hand brake adjustment 41 WC pickup

Thought that reinstalling my hand brake after replacing ring gear would be an easy job, but four hours in I’m stuck. I followed all of the manual settings and get a good 1/16” clearance around drum (note that the clearance at the very top of the is considerably more, but if I tighten the adjustment screw further it starts to bind on the bottom of the drum). Here comes the problem. If I then tighten the nut on the large adjusting bolt per the shop manual, the break lever won’t hold. If I back it off until the brake lever holds, I don’t have enough tension to hold the truck on a hill. Suggestions? 

EA18C7A9-4D8D-4D11-8970-490C7EC21ABF.jpeg

Thanks for the advice guys. When I shorten the lever linkage to the max end of adjustment I get a good grip. Still doesn’t feel right that I have to use every bit of this. I’m going to continue to reduce the band to hub adjustment until I see smoke ?

IMG_5762.HEIC

Super helpful. Thank you for posting. Although my brake band looked good (about .250” all around) when sitting in the truck, pulling it and looking at it on the bench revealed a thickness of .050 on a “low spot” on the other side (side closest to the engine) and a very, very, warped caliper. I’m going to start with a fresh assembly. This will also give me a chance to work on the source of that oil that isn’t helping my cause. 

I am a bit clueless here but could use some pointers.

I don't know anything about the trucks in question, However...

I have a 1953 3-wheel 'Scoopmobile' loader.

They appear to have been built with mostly standard assemblies, a guy with an Oxy/Acetylene torch and a pile of 1/4" plate ;-).

The Engine is a Chrysler Spitfire Flathead 6.

I'm sure the two transmissions, Rear-End (On the Front), Brakes, etc. are the same as something else, if I can identify what...

The parking brake on it was incomplete and non-functional.

I hacked something together and got it working fairly well.

The thing is, from pictures included here it is EXACTLY what you are working on.

Not knowing the abbreviations and codes for your trucks, I am not clear on exactly what they are.

What would I google for to find your specific trucks and manuals in question?

What section of the service manuals would cover the parking brake?

I have looked at the Differential, Transmission and Brakes sections on what I could find and nothing mentions the parking brake...

What manual exactly did those images come from?

Am I being stupid here and did ALL the parking brakes from that era look the same?

Things have changed a Lot in the 20 or so years since I bought this machine.

At that time the ONLY thing I could dig up related to the loader were 3 photos and a toy model someone had.

Now it looks like a may be able to get some reprints of the manuals and perhaps documentation on what the OEM source was for some of the assemblies.

We'll see when I get them.

Thanks.

Marc

7 hours ago, Marc123 said:

I am a bit clueless here but could use some pointers.

I don't know anything about the trucks in question, However...

I have a 1953 3-wheel 'Scoopmobile' loader.

They appear to have been built with mostly standard assemblies, a guy with an Oxy/Acetylene torch and a pile of 1/4" plate ;-).

The Engine is a Chrysler Spitfire Flathead 6.

I'm sure the two transmissions, Rear-End (On the Front), Brakes, etc. are the same as something else, if I can identify what...

The parking brake on it was incomplete and non-functional.

I hacked something together and got it working fairly well.

The thing is, from pictures included here it is EXACTLY what you are working on.

Not knowing the abbreviations and codes for your trucks, I am not clear on exactly what they are.

What would I google for to find your specific trucks and manuals in question?

What section of the service manuals would cover the parking brake?

I have looked at the Differential, Transmission and Brakes sections on what I could find and nothing mentions the parking brake...

What manual exactly did those images come from?

Am I being stupid here and did ALL the parking brakes from that era look the same?

Things have changed a Lot in the 20 or so years since I bought this machine.

At that time the ONLY thing I could dig up related to the loader were 3 photos and a toy model someone had.

Now it looks like a may be able to get some reprints of the manuals and perhaps documentation on what the OEM source was for some of the assemblies.

We'll see when I get them.

Thanks.

Marc

try this link below....go down to "hand brake"

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/B4_manual/B4_brakes.pdf