46 Flathead 6 Distributor/block interference

OUTFXD

I saw an Add for a 1946 Plymouth Special Deluxe (P-15) in reasonable condition.  I managed to beat the heard of potential buyers to the guys door and bought it.

It has a decent body, 95% present chrome, Tons of Surface rust, "Ran when Parked" 6 months ago.  I tracked the car back to a dealer that   had the car last year and they stated that it ran beautifully.

From what I can put together,  The guy that I bought the car from left the key on, Arcing the points together.  Then Proceeded to crank the tar out of it until the starter fried.

I am having the starter professionally rebuilt/  In the mean time I struggled with the points.  I ended up pulling the distributor out.  and found the Roller bearing for the breakerplate (!) was completely  frozen.  after a full rebuild on the distributor I put it back in the car.  Only now the distributor cant be rotated to adjust timing as a protrusion on the distributor bumps up against the ear on the block directly above the distributor.

I cant help but feel like I got something wrong.

Any help, insight, or advice would be greatly appritiated!

Dave

How far do you have to rotate it?

The tang on the bottom of the distributor drive is symmetrical and can go in 180° off. So if that is about the amount you have to rotate it, then remove the screw holding the distributor down and rotate the shaft 180° and re-install.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At some point someone may have pulled the dizzy out and put it back in wrong. Do a "clean" timing set up.  Pull the plug out of #6, not the spark plug but the little plug in the head. Then stick a brass rod down in there (take all the spark plugs out) and turn the engine over with the fan (one hand on the belt to tighten it) and rotate the engine until # 6 is at the top of its travel.

{I digress, if you have the tool to screw into the plug and use a dial indicator that is even better}

Check to see that the indicator is at TDC while the brass rod is at the top of it travel. Then put in the distributor. and make sure that the rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire in the cap.

Then pull the brass rod and put the plug in. Then put in the spark plugs and try it.

James

PS. I have the Autolite book and can confirm that you have the correct distributor. Just post it and I will look it up.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, James_Douglas said:

At some point someone may have pulled the dizzy out and put it back in wrong. Do a "clean" timing set up.  Pull the plug out of #6, not the spark plug but the little plug in the head. Then stick a brass rod down in there (take all the spark plugs out) and turn the engine over with the fan (one hand on the belt to tighten it) and rotate the engine until # 6 is at the top of its travel.

{I digress, if you have the tool to screw into the plug and use a dial indicator that is even better}

Check to see that the indicator is at TDC while the brass rod is at the top of it travel. Then put in the distributor. and make sure that the rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire in the cap.

Then pull the brass rod and put the plug in. Then put in the spark plugs and try it.

James

PS. I have the Autolite book and can confirm that you have the correct distributor. Just post it and I will look it up.

Better make sure number 1 is on it's compression stroke before you drop in the distributor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Better make sure number 1 is on it's compression stroke before you drop in the distributor. 

I forgot...when #6 is up take a length of rubber hose and blow into both #6 then # one to make sure #1 is on the compression stroke...

All these things we do without thinking about it after all these years...means we forget steps to tell others who don't have those experiences...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James_Douglas said:

I forgot...when #6 is up take a length of rubber hose and blow into both #6 then # one to make sure #1 is on the compression stroke...

All these things we do without thinking about it after all these years...means we forget steps to tell others who don't have those experiences...

I am guilty of that as well, I have to make a conscious effort to not do that when I am teaching my son about cars.  So I tend to try to pay attention to these things, but  backslide.  Fortunately, he's been taught to question things he doesn't understand, it helps.

• Thanks 1

Tod Fitch's answer  above is the most likely  to solve your problem.   The distributor drive gear is on the oil pump.  When the pump is installed correctly ( the procedure is in the shop manual)  the distributor rotor can be placed at about the 7 o'clock position for #1.   When that is done, there will be no interference with the vacuum advance and other protrusions.     The major and minor adjustments will be within range as well.

It is possible to time the engine with the drive gear in the wrong position ( by moving wire positions or rotating the distributor body)  but problems such as the one you have experienced will likely occur.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Added a picture to help explain the problem. 

The White arrow is an "ear" cast into the block. 

The Red Arrow is a protrusion from the distributor,  appears to be a tube with a spring loaded cap... Vacuum advance blow off mabye?

And I havent checked the timing yet but car starts and the first crank and purrs.

46 Plymouth Distributor.png

Edited by OUTFXD
afterthought

yes the area that is being pointed out with the red arrow is a lub oiler. You lift up the cap and drop in some oil to lube the dizzy shaft.  If this is hitting a casting point in the block then I feel that you have the dizzy in the wrong position. Take it our and rotate it 180 degress.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.comi

• Thanks 1

Agree with Rich, while the car runs o/k that red arrowed thing is the dissy lube fitting and its normally in a relatively accessible position so I'd also agree that your dissy is 180 degrees out which is a common fault.........andyd  

If he were to rotate the distributor housing 180 degrees the oil cup would be at the bottom and he wouldn't get oil to flow uphill to where it needs to go. The oil cup should be near the top. On mine the oil cup is are around the 2 O'clock position. So if anything I'd suggest that the distributor be rotated clockwise a bit. May need to move the plug wires 1 position anti-clockwise in the process.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

On mine the oil cup is are around the 2 O'clock position. So if anything I'd suggest that the distributor be rotated clockwise a bit. May need to move the plug wires 1 position anti-clockwise in the process.  

That sounds like a winning idea! I Had not considered adjusting the plug wire and assumed I had left out a spacer or something!  Thank you!

8 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

If he were to rotate the distributor housing 180 degrees the oil cup would be at the bottom and he wouldn't get oil to flow uphill to where it needs to go. The oil cup should be near the top. On mine the oil cup is are around the 2 O'clock position. So if anything I'd suggest that the distributor be rotated clockwise a bit. May need to move the plug wires 1 position anti-clockwise in the process.  

Merle:  The cup is no let oil run into the base of the dizzy body and oil the two bushings that are inthe body of the dizzy.  On my 39 desoto I have a grease cup and that is located around the 4 o clock position.  The oil will run down on this gentlemans dizzy body and into the bearing to lube the dizzy shaft.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com