Supplied with new gas tank - do I need them?

Chris-R
Go to solution Solved by Sam Buchanan,

Hi,

My replacement gas tank came with these two fittings. The smaller brass coloured one winds into a threaded hole on top of the tank - near the cutout for the sender. What's it for? My old Windsor tank doesn't have one...

Also, is it fair to assume the tank will have been built with an internal fuel pick-up connected to the threaded hole on the side? I'm hoping the silver one they sent me is surplus to requirements.

Final question, should my new cork gasket for the new sender be bedded in with sealant, or does it work on its own? 

20211017_134513.jpg

20211017_135938.jpg

• Solution
7 minutes ago, Chris-R said:

Hi,

My replacement gas tank came with these two fittings. The smaller brass coloured one winds into a threaded hole on top of the tank - near the cutout for the sender. What's it for? My old Windsor tank doesn't have one...

Also, is it fair to assume the tank will have been built with an internal fuel pick-up connected to the threaded hole on the side? I'm hoping the silver one they sent me is surplus to requirements.

Final question, should my new cork gasket for the new sender be bedded in with sealant, or does it work on its own? 

20211017_134513.jpg

The fitting on top of the tank is probably for a vent and the silver fitting is the vent itself. It would be connected to the elbow with a hose and located significantly higher than the tank. However, if you already have a vented fuel cap you can just plug the vent opening on the tank.

Yes, there should be a pickup tube in the tank. The gasket should be ok as is but some sealant is ok if that is what you wish to do.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

5 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Shouldn't you be asking these questions from the person you got the tank from?  Unless they are just a middle man who just sells them and knows nothing further.  It would be better to get the seller's answer rather than getting guesses from us.  

It was an educated guess....  ;)