Radiator Support - Replace studs w bolts? Manifold/Head bolt sizes?

Bryan

When I was removing the radiator it would have been a lot easier to unbolt the radiator, then unbolt the support, lift the support out and lift the radiator out. The manual said to remove the fan first but I couldn't get to it. Only a flat wrench worked, and only on the 2 fan bolts that were in the wide spaced blades.  Anybody see a problem replacing the support studs with new bolts?   Off topic - does anybody know the size/length/strength of head bolts/studs and the intake/exhaust manifold bolts/studs?   Thought if I order the bolts for the radiator I could order the others.    I've seen different sales of bolt sets for the head/manifold..just don't know the quality.

IMG_4550 small.jpg

IMG_4595 small.jpg

I've pulled a few Oz 1940 Dodges apart over the years and have never seen studs/nuts used on the radiator support frame like you show.....all have been 3/8 UNF/9/16th AF bolts so I'd replace these with bolts, from memory about 1" long...........can't help re the head bolt info as I sold the 41 plymouth a few years ago...........andyd 

• Like 1

I just pulled the radiator out of my 53 Plymouth. I've never worked on your year of Dodge but i disconnected the hoses and took 4 bolts out. Slid the radiator right up and out. I don't think it took 10 minutes. There is more bolted to the radiator support than just the radiator,  i don't see how removing it to take the radiator out is a time saver. Taking the fan off shouldn't be that difficult. 

Mine's a 48 Dodge and the radiator was binding on a 4" wide section of the support. Would not come out.  I reckon if I would have had a rachet type box end wrench I could have taken the fan off..no room.  Got two of the bolts off.  That's what the manual stated, take the fan off..

The best tool purchases I've made in the last 10 years are the ratcheting box ends!  I've got SAE, Metric, zero offset, reversible, stubbies and flex.  Not all the combinations, but the ones I find a use for.   Fans, upper strut nuts on Mopar minivans and other odd uses make them worth every penny.