Problem with rear shocks on 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

My last response was for my front shocks . As for the rear I used Air shocks but I did have to switch out the rubber eye bushings on either the top or bottom ( I can’t remember) but it wasn’t hard . Monroe MA727

• Like 1

3 hours ago, junkers72 said:

My last response was for my front shocks . As for the rear I used Air shocks but I did have to switch out the rubber eye bushings on either the top or bottom ( I can’t remember) but it wasn’t hard . Monroe MA727

My front shocks from Rock Auto are 14.25" and barely fit.  The front shocks you bought are 12.75" which I think would be too short for my 48 DeSoto.

Edited by MarcDeSoto

4 hours ago, junkers72 said:

These are the ones I used from Napa and I didn’t even pay that current list price. And they had them in stock at my local Napa store.  NAPa says these shocks fit Dodge 1948. 

NAPA says these fit only 40-48 Plymouth and Dodge, so do they also fit 48 Chrysler and DeSoto?  

I felt the dodge and the DeSoto were so similar that I couldn’t image any geometry differences in the front or rear suspension. I did not have the body off the frame.  I did put all new bump stops on the front. When the car was on the jack stands the stands were placed under the lower A arms in front and under the axle housing in rear . There seems to be a lot of suspension travel in the rear with no shocks in place.  If you don’t plan on mimicking stunts performed by the General Lee I feel you will be happy with using similar equipment as I used .  If you are going for a points restoration then I guess your search will be a little tougher . I enjoy reading all your posts and commend you for going the extra mile with your research.  You not giving up on this car over these many years shows your true character . Whichever direction you choose is the right one and your not a quitter.      Have a good day

• Like 1

Marc, Something is not right.  I just checked my Hollander Interchange Book and it shows 1938 to 1950 Desoto ALL interchange.

Are your springs new? If not, then what is happening is that your suspension is hanging down lower as the spring are worn. That makes one think that the expanded length is longer than what was designed by the factory.

Since the roll up 1954 Master Parts Book shows that they are the same and Hollander show they are the same and my actual factory original shocks lengths are documented. I would just use what I did.

James

Don't know if this info will help, but according to my part list, there were several different shocks offered in 1941. Super Control, Commercial Duty, Extreme Duty, Special Oversize. Also for 7 pass. limo and station wagon have their own. Together were 2 different studs sizes.

I don't think length was different, but can't say for sure.

According to Mitchell's, 1937-50 all use same shock.

10 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Junkers, you have been a great help both here and when I had a problem with the linkage.  Thank you!  May I assume that the above shocks you listed were for your 47 DeSoto?  And when you put them on, was the body off the chassis or on it?  

I think your issue is no weight on the chassis. That extra weight should compress the springs some and possibly the shocks you already have will fit right on. 

• Like 2

I agree with the last post, a bare chassis isn't heavy enough to depress the springs.  Similar to having a car suspended by the frame either on stands or a lift.  The suspension will drop far enough that the shocks won't extend enough to fit without lifting the axle.

• Like 2