Problem with rear shocks on 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

I bought two rear shocks from Rock Auto for my 48 DeSoto, but they are about 1" too short and don't reach the studs.  To their credit, Rock Auto didn't say they fit a 48 DeSoto, but said they fit a 48 Dodge.  So I bought them thinking that Rock Auto just neglected to list them for DeSoto.  And I saw that the 48 Dodge and DeSoto used the same rear shocks according to the part number, 1119876.  But upon reading my 48 DeSoto Parts Manual again I saw the problem.  The Dodge rear shock only fits 46-48 DeSoto up to serial number 6173576.  My serial number is 6202481.  So I need rear shock part number 1135543.  Rock Auto doesn't list any shocks for 46-48 Chrysler or DeSoto.  So does anyone know who does?  I think the front schocks fit, but am not certain.  Dodge and DeSoto/Chrysler have different part numbers for the front shocks, so maybe I'll have to return all four shocks.  Thanks.  

I can't directly answer your question, but I can tell you how a found (maybe) a set of gas charged shocks for the front of my Plymouth.  I measured the collapsed and extended lengths of my existing shocks.  I then measured the shock mount pin diameter.  Once I did that I perused the shock books looking for a shock that had the same specifications.  I found none that would work as it.  But I did find one that might work IF I change out eh bushings for a set that will fit my mounting pins.  Since my spindles are at the machine shop I haven't bought a set to test fit, yet.

• Like 2

I also needed new rear shocks some years ago. Spare parts for these old girls are limited here where I live. Typically after ordering you need to wait 3-4 weeks to find out parts don't fit. 

Didn't want to experience that with heavy shocks (freight and all). Also I sometimes tow my camper or MC trailer and don't want the sagging look.

I purchased a pair of Gabriel Hi-Jackers. Now level is always correct.

4 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

I purchased a pair of Gabriel Hi-Jackers.

Cantilevered loads and single shear connections come to mind.

As for the OP, as long as the compressed length is the same, or smaller, and the extended length is the same, or more, you are good.

Ok, I found my notes :

Somewhat definitive shock information (46-48)

Hi All,

I replaced my shocks on the 1947 Desoto Suburban (LWB).  This car had a build date of Late December 1946.

I was surprised when I took the shocks off to realize that the are the original shocks.  The front MOPAR part number checks with my part book, the rear does not.  However, they  have the same undercoating on them that matched the rest of the car.  It has a single coat of original factory or dealer applied water base coating. I am convinced that these are the factory shocks.  So for your record keeping pleasure:

Front Shocks:

Collapsed Length:       8.75 Inches

Expanded Length:      13.0 Inches

Part Numbering from top to bottom as on shock:

12B6     1F8-F0

Made In Monroe

Patent No.2.004.380

& No. 2.078.364

PcPd

Rear Shocks:

Collapsed Length:       12.5 Inches

Expanded Length:      20.0 Inches

Part Numbering from top to bottom as on shock:

12B6     1F8-F1

Made In Monroe

Patent No.2.004.380

& No. 2.078.364

PcPd

I used these for years, then changed later on to below:

New Fronts NAPA = 5752ST (Box had LE 10002)

New Rears NAPA 94008

Posted December 3, 2016  

This week I have been moving parts around.  I found the box that had the shocks I took off the 1947 Desoto Suburban when I first purchased it and the 1949 Desoto Convertible when I took it apart. I cleaned them all well and below is what I found. The shocks are MOPAR with the CDPD stamp on them and factory part numbers.  They are Monroe shocks.

1947 Desoto S-11 Suburban:

Front 1121207, closed 8.75", open 12.875," Dia max 2.125"
Rear 1121208, closed 12.5", open 20.5", Dia max 2.125"

1949 Desoto S-13 Convertible

Front 1311851, closed 8.75",  open 13",  Dia Max 2.125"

Rear 1311852, closed 12.5", open 20.5", Dia Max 2.125

Interestingly the Monroe cross reference on the 1947 Desoto shows a front part number of 5752.  On Amazon or Jeg's they are about $22 each.  At NAPA or O'Reilly they show up as from Rare Parts at $200!  What a joke...

I may have a custom set made for the big Desoto.  The shock valves were different according to the master parts book for the heavy Suburban.  Custom adjustable shocks may be better for this daily driver than another set of modern Monroe's.

The 1947 Shocks are know to be original to the car. The 1949 I suspect may have been changed once.

2021 update. I am currently using the following on the 1947 Desoto:

Front Shock 1947 Desoto:

NAPA NS5752  (UPC:48598041609) {monroe}

Oreilly 5752 (UPC:48598041609) (monroe}

Rear Shock 1947 Desoto:

Napa RR94008 {monroe}

Oreilly 3100 (UPC:48598024008) {Monroe}

Oreilly KG5473 (UPC:781552054733) {KYB}

Best all, James

Edited by James_Douglas
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 3:51 PM, MarcDeSoto said:

I bought two rear shocks from Rock Auto for my 48 DeSoto, but they are about 1" too short and don't reach the studs.  To their credit, Rock Auto didn't say they fit a 48 DeSoto, but said they fit a 48 Dodge.  So I bought them thinking that Rock Auto just neglected to list them for DeSoto.  And I saw that the 48 Dodge and DeSoto used the same rear shocks according to the part number, 1119876.  But upon reading my 48 DeSoto Parts Manual again I saw the problem.  The Dodge rear shock only fits 46-48 DeSoto up to serial number 6173576.  My serial number is 6202481.  So I need rear shock part number 1135543.  Rock Auto doesn't list any shocks for 46-48 Chrysler or DeSoto.  So does anyone know who does?  I think the front schocks fit, but am not certain.  Dodge and DeSoto/Chrysler have different part numbers for the front shocks, so maybe I'll have to return all four shocks.  Thanks.  

This may have been missed when I mentioned it earlier, but full suspension travel and shock absorber stroke do not need to match exactly...raising the axle with a jack to enable shock installation is allowed in my neck of the woods :cool:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JBNeal said:

This may have been missed when I mentioned it earlier, but full suspension travel and shock absorber stroke do not need to match exactly...raising the axle with a jack to enable shock installation is allowed in my neck of the woods

True, extension is not nearly as critical as compression.  Not enough compression and your shocks become the bump stops.

21 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

James, thanks for all of that data, but my car is a 48 DeSoto business coupe.  I think the Suburbans used a different size shock, or at least had a different part number.  

The 1954 roll up 5 inch thick Master Parts Book shows the same shock part number for all Desoto Six Cylinders from 1938 to 1950.

Of course it does lie sometimes. The 1948 listing for Suburban Sedan may have been for heavy duty as the car is heavy. Of course heavy duty in those days was nothing compared to what it is now shock wise.

Take the extended and collapsed measurements from your existing shocks and check them against my measurements. If they are the same or close I would use the ones listed.

James

• Like 1

James, I have a 48 DeSoto business coupe.  Your shocks would not fit my car.  On the rear shock, the extended length of my Rock auto shocks are 20 3/4" and it's an inch too short.  On the front shocks, the extended length is 14 1/4" and it's just barely long enough to fit.  

I just called Andy Bernbaum's and he said the rear shocks that he has are 20 3/4", but those are the same as mine so they wouldn't fit.  His front shocks sound correct as they are 15 3/4" long which is more than enough to fit.  Is jacking up the rear end a good thing to do to get the rear shocks to fit as a previous poster said?  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

16 minutes ago, 38plymouth said:

Somethings very wrong there.

Probably because they just looked up the application rather than did what you did to get yours.

I ordered the shocks I matched based on collapsed and extended lengths, should be here by Friday, assuming my uprights are back by then I might have a report on them.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2021 at 3:28 AM, MarcDeSoto said:

I tried to fit the Rock Auto Monroe front shocks on my 48 DeSoto and they fit, even though they are listed for Dodge and Plymouth only.  Does that mean I can use them, or is there some difference that will make them bad to use?  

I used the Monroe gas shocks on the front of my 47 DeSoto and they work fine

• Like 1

These are the ones I used from Napa and I didn’t even pay that current list price. And they had them in stock at my local Napa store.C902B839-43A0-47FF-9BD9-911F6028BE2E.jpeg.898bc0aff2a7861f54312c91513b99af.jpeg

• Like 1