Backup Camera 1949 style

bobhavey

For those of us with age-stiffened necks, this is quite a simple and non-disfiguring upgrade, and seems on  brief trial [only fitted it today!] to work OK.

The camera unit is solar powered and communicates wirelessly with the screen. I havent yet decided where to mount the screen, I'm not sure I want it on show all the time on the provided stalk mount. At the momentI've stuck it in the glovebox with it's 12v power supply which is jury rigged from a 12v flat start unit I was given [ the screen has a cigarette lighter plug but requires 12v]. I'm considering using a cheap powertool 12v battery as I've got several.

The lines dont bend with your steering like a modern intelligent vehicle, but I think it'll reduce my chance of causing havoc with that industrial strength rear bumper.

IMG_7284.jpg

IMG_7286.jpg

IMG_7287.jpg

IMG_7288.jpg

IMG_7289.jpg

• Like 3

AUTO-VOX Solar Reversing Camera Wireless Kit, 5 Mins DIY Installation, Clear Image Backup Camera with IP68 Waterproof for Cars and Van https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YS272Y4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XAGK8G2M0D7YG4AYB73G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1  

I put a wireless camera on my 1998 truck. Works fine until it cools off. It does not like anything colder than about 36F. No workee after that. It would be great if I lived in California or Florida. In Canada? Not so much.

I swear last summer I walked by mine with a ice crème cone in my hand. It wouldn’t work. 

• Haha 2

A possibility for mounting your monitor would be in the sun visor.  When I rewired my P15, the upholstery shop built my video monitor into the driver's side sun visor.  It has an accessible power switch, so it is only "on" when I want it.  Works great!

I have one on the rear of my beater 03 Ranger pu, I put the camera on the inside of the sun visor on the driver side. The camera light up when I flip the visor down,and turns off again when I flip it back up.

It remains  unseen unless I flip the visor down.

Think I paid something like $39.95 a few years ago.

Edited by knuckleharley

The instant garage is working ok. I’d run out of garage space when I bought the Plymouth a few months back, so it was a practical and reasonably cheap solution.  It cost around £350 and took about 2hr to erect; there were 50mph winds it’s first weekend and it survived ok. The climate here is mild but wet with a lot of seagulls so it protects the car but allows it to dry off if put away wet. 
It’s limitations are mainly you can’t heat it much and it’s not lockable - for insurance it counts as ‘vehicle parked in driveway’ not ‘vehicle garaged’

Edited by bobhavey
Extra detail
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 2:59 AM, knuckleharley said:

I have one on the rear of my beater 03 Ranger pu, I put the camera on the inside of the sun visor on the driver side. The camera light up when I flip the visor down,and turns off again when I flip it back up.

It remains  unseen unless I flip the visor down.

Think I paid something like $39.95 a few years ago.

Good idea, I've mounted mine on the passenger visor [some hi-tech elastic bands..]

I also crimped some spade terminals on to the leads from my Ebay cigarette lighter socket and they fit perfectly into the teminals of a Bosch 12v [ 10.8v] power tool battery, of which I have several lying around. so far that lives in the glove box and the lead goes up the windscreen pillar to the visor. Neat-ish.