Thickstun intake

Frank Gooz

Have any of you used a new Thickstun intake? "Duel Dodge Duel Plymouth". I like the looks of the intake runners. One thing in question is the two nuts on the inward side of the two outer

runners.

Any information would be helpful pros v/s cons.

Thank you

Frank

I have one, haven't ran it but mocked it up. It's a great quality piece and worth every penny. The seller is a solid guy too. I bought a few other of his parts and they have all been topnotch. What's your question about the mounting nuts? I had no problems installing it on my motor with cast headers.

Screenshot_20210710-100053_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210710-100104_Gallery.jpg

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

Yes, there is a seller on Ebay that reproduces them on occasion.  He's got them right now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144238018909?hash=item219541815d:g:bsAAAOSwXFNgnGfG

Looks like some nice castings. I much prefer the 3x1 intakes,though. They are awful hard to find these days,though. Even for a Mopar. I was insanely lucky to find a 3x1 intake and matching finned aluminum head for my flat 6 51 Ford. I honestly couldn't even remember the last time I even saw a photo of them,and it must have taken me a micro-mini-second to pound on the "BIN" button.

Now,if I can just find a set of cast iron headers........

Got lucky and bought both of my Mopar flat 6 finned aluminum heads from The Dodge boys when they first started making them. VERY low serial numbers on them,too. It was semi-easy to find the Mopar 3x1 intakes and even easier to find and buy the cast iron headers.

Yeah,I LOVE inlines.

Edited by knuckleharley

40 minutes ago, ratbailey said:

Shoot. Gonna have to learn how to braze.

Not hard. Just make sure you have a rosebud tip (I THINK that's what they are called) to SLOWLY preheat the cast iron to a red glow before you start the brazing,and make sure you have both parts clamped rigidly so they don't move. 

Run your torch aceletene rich.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 5:39 AM, ratbailey said:

Do these exist for 25" blocks? 

I chatted with the fellow who is reproducing the Thickstun/Tattersfield manifolds. He is the son of Frank Barron who was one of the major players in the company that originally made them. He has all the patterns from the company and says he is refinishing them and will make new manifolds as demand indicates. They did (so he says) make a Chrysler/DeSoto manifold but at the time I talked to him he had no plans to make them. If enough people bugged him to buy them maybe just maybe he'd go into production. The problem guys in the reproduction business have is that once production starts the demand dries up as buyers figure they can put off a purchase. Barney Navarro said when somebody asked him if he had any flathead Ford cylinder heads left, he replied "Well, yes I do but only two pair." That always got the guy to pull out his wallet and buy two pairs instead of the one he wanted. That's why these guys are a little gun shy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Loren said:

I chatted with the fellow who is reproducing the Thickstun/Tattersfield manifolds. He is the son of Frank Barron who was one of the major players in the company that originally made them. He has all the patterns from the company and says he is refinishing them and will make new manifolds as demand indicates. They did (so he says) make a Chrysler/DeSoto manifold but at the time I talked to him he had no plans to make them. If enough people bugged him to buy them maybe just maybe he'd go into production. The problem guys in the reproduction business have is that once production starts the demand dries up as buyers figure they can put off a purchase. Barney Navarro said when somebody asked him if he had any flathead Ford cylinder heads left, he replied "Well, yes I do but only two pair." That always got the guy to pull out his wallet and buy two pairs instead of the one he wanted. That's why these guys are a little gun shy. 

Ha! The Barney Navarro story is some old school hustling...hilarious. I don't doubt nobody's getting rich making hop-up equipment for 80 year old engines. I'll see if I can bug the guy on ebay and let him know there's at least one nutjob in the world who wants his DeSoto to go fast (by 1948 standards).

Edited by ratbailey
  • Like 1

Just got this note from the person making the intakes...: 

Hi Art,
Thanks for the note and sorry for the slow reply.
We plan to dust off the original patterns in the new year when things get back to normal to make a dual carb intake for the bigger DeSoto and Chrysler motors.
Kind regards.

Edited by ratbailey

OK, So as more of a purist in the hobby. I have a question for this discussion.  People are wanting to increase the performance for their 60+ year old cars and trucks.  So i notice that they are opting for dual carbs on the intake.  So with the price of gas now reaching around 3.75 here in PA and we know it is going to go higher, becasue of polictical reasons. So with the dula carbs Iwould figure that you are now going to be using more gas, I might be wrong.

So our cars either the 23/25 inch block had the rated horse power of around 85/92 when they were new engines. Now that they might have been rebuilt might increase the HP.  But we can only increase to a certain amount based on the design of the engine based on 60+ year old technology.  So by spending 300-500 for two carbs, new intake and headers plus the syncing of all these new items what is really being gained?

Yes it looks cool to have these fancy items on the car and the newer tuned exhaust sounds and when we go to a car show we can push out our chests to show off to the rest of the world look at my car. Basically with allof the fancy speed equipment, dual carb, fenton aluminum finned heads  the car can still only go so fast and maybe get up to 65 mph cruising do the road with the original style brakes and transmission and rear end and some people then even change that out to more modern components.  The frame technology would still be the same from 60+ years ago the handling will still be the same from 60+ years ago even with radial tires.

So my question is why are the owners spending this money on a 60+ year old technology based car or truck.  Why not get a more modern car from the 60/70's that is an antique and have more upto date technology and can handle the speeds that you want to go and also sound like you want it to sound.

I am not saying that I am against what you all are doi9ng but what is the real return in investment. I applaud you guys for doing what you are doing but there is only so far that you can improve a 60+ year old vehicle    

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

its more an oohs and ahs thing in my opinion....the odds of keeping up with a 150 scooter is still slim.....some dress out rather nicely...some are very much amateurish and performance and cosmetics both suffering greatly....but that is ok as each owner is free to do what he wishes and cost is usually not an issue.....it is not mine to wonder their decisions...whatever they think they want....go for it...behind you all the way...(sometimes being behind is better as they never see you snicker)

• Like 1

From my limited research and understanding, the engine will perform somewhat better and get somewhat improved mileage with two or three well-tuned carbs than one. Is this incorrect? Of course I'm not expecting to fry tires with my flathead six that's otherwise unmodified, nor do I care to. It's interesting to me to try to coax a little more out of the little flatty and engage in some half-assed garage engineering and maybe learn a thing or two---just trying to enjoy my little hobby as I see fit. 

As far as "puffing out my chest for the rest of the world to look at my car," I didn't buy it for anyone else but me, to satisfy myself. I couldn't care less if anyone ever looks at it. I'll never take it to a cruise night, and I'll never join a club. But, if someone gets off having the world look at their car, fantastic. Who does it hurt? 

Investment? A 73 year old DeSoto is hardly an investment. 

There's a wide variety of reasons why people have old cars, or engage in any number of extracurricular activities. The reasons are personal, and really none of my business. I can't imagine looking down my nose in a public forum at any of them.

Edited by ratbailey
  • Like 4

behind you all the way rat.....am I or am I not snickering...  (now that last line was truly funny...) lol  wrench like no one is looking...plan your build like no one cares, chances are they don't.....enjoy it all as it is your last day and hope that is really is not....I am totally honest in saying when at a show I will rarely look at a finished car but beat a path in and around them directly to the project/in progress builds...I want to see in my mind's eye what it would be...not what anyone may consider as correct.

• Like 2

Bet you're no fun at a party... I have thought about buying a 1967-72 car for driving instead of the next new one. Maybe a Ford Galaxie with 240 straight 6 or a Dodge with 225 slant six.  1967 was about the time they had collapsible, padded steering wheels, padded dashes (that crack), shoulder belts and headrests. 1972 was right before standard electronic ignition and a lot of the emission controls.   But, anyway..antique cars are a hobby. Same as I did hopping my single gear moped up to do 50 mph when I was 25..it's fun.

• Like 1

The urge to modify is very strong among gear heads.

Sometimes they make smart choices and sometimes the other kind.

If your not Smokey Yunick or Barney Navarro or Doane Spencer perhaps you should stick to what you know works.

It takes a lot of reading and research. Some guys refuse to do the work.

If you live in the L.A. area you will find Jay Leno at the annual Throttlers Picnic.

He's not spouting off about the great cars he owns and his next project.....he's listening.

He wants to know what the guys who did it back in the day are saying.

It's the history, the stories, he wants to hear. He's comparing notes and sorting out fiction from fact.

He does not care who makes the best disc brake kit or T5 adaptor.

I have a car that he has that he bought from a guy I know.

It is bone stock with a 750 engine prone to head gasket problems.

Mine (I have more than one) have later 850 engines that are reliable.

His has a 3 speed transmission, mine have later 4 speeds.

His has drum brakes, mine have later disc brakes.

It is a whole lot easier to make the switches I have than to try and preserve the original stuff.

I did it because it was cheaper and easier and added performance at a time when I didn't have a lot of money.

I drove one car in particular everyday.

His car is a museum piece, mine were daily drivers.

I am certain he knows everything I know about those cars and with one phone call he could find out more than I know.

The car he has gives him pleasure.

The cars I have gave me transportation.

It's a balance between originality and utility. Jay can afford originality, at the time I could not.

But since I got used to the way my cars drove....I am not going back, they work.

So by spending 300-500 for two carbs, new intake and headers plus the syncing of all these new items what is really being gained?

You get what you want?

BTW,getting 300 HP out of a 330 or larger hemi is no big deal if that is what you want to do.

Edited by knuckleharley

Sounds like desoto1939 doesn’t understand hotrodding…

Cars to normal folks are simply transportation.

Hotrods are an extension of the owner. It’s a canvas to express yourself on. Simple or wild and everywhere in between. Dual carbs, dual pipes, lumpy cam, finned head, staggered rubber, chrome reverses, baby moons, spider caps, cheaters, pie crusts, lake pipes, steep gears, primer paint, candy paint, flames or hand laid pin stripes, and more. Nobody does these things with concern for the environment, comfort or good fuel economy!!!

Hotrodders get it, everyone else looks at us like we are crazy! We do it because it’s what we love.

Everybody knows when building a hotrod, don’t save the receipts and never tell your wife how much you spent!

• Thanks 1

Sometimes people modify their cars,just to have something to do on their cars. If it runs better or faster,good!

If it runs slower or rougher,maybe even mo betta because that gives you an excuse to mess with it some more.

• Like 2

When I get around to installing the Edmunds dual intake and custom exhaust on the old 46 Plymouth coupe I have, it will be for my personal enjoyment..
I won't be be doing it for, nor expecting  any oohs and aahs from anyone.
Simple modifications,easily put back to original for the purists.It certainly won't be a performance engine by any imagination...more of a nostalgia thing for me.
Thirty years or so ago I was at a car show,saw a 33 Dodge coupe that had a  modified 54 flathead fitted with an Edmunds dual intake,custom headers,and some bling and it took me back in time to the sixties when I owned a 37 Chrysler coupe fitted  with the Edmunds dual intake,etc..Up to that time I hadn't seen any Edmunds speed equipment on an old flathead at any shows...I started looking. and have been able to find some stuff at reasonable prices.?
Edited by T120
  • Like 1