"Most powerful engine on the market" in 1954

Bob Riding
Go to solution Solved by Bob Riding,

I've gotta quit checking the FB ads so closely. Saw this in a neighboring town and after checking it out and a bit of negotiating, went back the next day and bought it.  It's a '54 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe 4 dr sedan with the upgraded 235 hp 331 cu in hemi and Torqueflite. The PO ran it for me (for a few seconds, since there was no gas tank), but it turns over and runs!  It looks like the original Carter WCFB 4 bbl is in place, but not sure if it's in working condition. The car was last registered in '94, the interior is stripped except for the dash, steering wheel gauges, etc which look to be in really good shape. My plans are to use its best bits (and the upgraded engine) for my '54 Town and Country wagon, and after the transplant, sell it as a nice project car since it is virtually rust-free. I am apparently the third owner, and it was always registered in California, so that's a plus.

I'm gonna play with the engine (check fluids, replace the belts, hoses, plugs etc.) and hook it up to my vintage engine tester and see what I get. I thanked the PO, who was a young guy, for not molesting it and he said he wanted to keep it stock. Maybe there's hope for the future?

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_1405.jpeg

• Like 7

54 - 331 is a unique engine...  

It most likely has the large valve / large port heads, same as the coveted 555 heads less the water ports.

That intake is a wet version and the 4bbls are a 1 year only (I believe).  Don't toss it if you go aftermarket!!

Is it an extended bellhousing block or short?  Probably short.

54 would be short.

4 hours ago, capt den said:

i have a 54 windsor convertible, and have owned 54 chryslers since 1966. the 331 hemi is a great engine and when in good condition will drive smooth and really fast too. the powerflite tranny is reliable and mostly trouble free. the town and country is a stunning automobile and deserves to be restored with all the original parts you can get off this sedan. if you have fender skirts you will not use i am interested.  dennis   9102626629 [ north carolina]. if you decide to part out the car there are other items i need, such as the trunk light socket. i would rather see it be a project car, but except for you and me there are only a few people interested in 54 chryslers. the 54 new yorker was a reasonably successful model because of the 235 hp hemi. my car with the flathead 6 was a sales flop. i may have an extra factory manual for the 54 chrysler, and i have wiring diagrams and other useful info if you need it. i may have an extra owners manual. if you need these items you can just pay shipping as i will be glad to see them go to a 54 chrysler owner instead of sitting in my garage.    capt den

Thanks for the response. I am getting excited about the possibilities. Why don't you PM me and we can discuss further.

5 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Had a 1955 DeSoto Firedome some years ago. Only a 291 cui but it ran great. One day I stumbled over a 1939 LaSalle, and had to let it go :(

d1.jpg

1209_main_f.jpg

I honestly don't believe I could sell a running and driving 55 DeSoto 2dr ht for any price,unless it was enough for me to be able to buy a 55 DeSoto convertible.

I did buy a 4dr parts car a few years ago to get the hemi,trans,and the grille. The grille is going in my 51 Ford coupe. It was probably worth more than the rest of the car.

Still,I found somebody that wanted the car for the sheet metal and bumpers,so I helped him load it on his trailer and waved goodby to it.

I bought it to get the engine and trans for my 33 Ply coupe,but found out it was a S-22 that still had the original 4brl intake and carb on it,so I would rather find a restorer with a 2dr ht or a convertible and sell it to them. It blows my mind that somebody ordered a 4dr sedan new in 55 with the S-22 engine.

I now plan on putting the 331 DeSoto engine from a junker 56 4dr in the 33. It is a base 2brl engine,but I have a 6 carb intake for it to brighten things up a bit.

• Like 1

Well, this particular engine will have to wait to be called the "most powerful" as small pieces of aluminum came out when I drained the oil. The oil looked like a chocolate milkshake, which probably means a blown head gasket?  I conferred with my brother-in-law who is knowledgeable on most things engine-related and said that in the early days, they used steel head gaskets and they were notorious for leaking. He suggested I fill up the crankcase with diesel, let it sit overnight, drain, add fresh 40 weight and try to start it. It started right up, but then sounded like rocks in a rock-tumbler. Obviously I have some issues!  I bought the car for spare parts- tranny, power steering, and of course the engine as it is rated at 40hp more than the intact 331 in my '54 Town and Country wagon that I'm restoring - I will be using my $28 boroscope to check and see how many cylinders are affected.

Capt den and others may know the answer as to whether I can use the "Deluxe" parts off this 235hp motor - larger intake and exhaust manifolds, 4 bbl WCFB carb, dual exhausts on the 195 hp motor, and expect the performance increase?

IMG_2753.jpeg

The big thing is the block. If it has the S-22 code stamped on the block,it is the real deal and not a standard engine  someone put a 4brl on. If it is the S-22,do NOT scrap it because there is bound to be a restorer here that would buy it from you. AFAIK,S-22's are very rare engines.

• Solution
26 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

The big thing is the block. If it has the S-22 code stamped on the block,it is the real deal and not a standard engine  someone put a 4brl on. If it is the S-22,do NOT scrap it because there is bound to be a restorer here that would buy it from you. AFAIK,S-22's are very rare engines.

I can't seem to locate the engine number- It's supposed to be stamped on a flat surface between the water pump and the intake valley?

41 minutes ago, Bob Riding said:

I can't seem to locate the engine number- It's supposed to be stamped on a flat surface between the water pump and the intake valley?

Found both engine #'s. The Deluxe is C542-8-1812. The wagon is C541-8-9388.  That checks out against Hot Heads Hemi Engine ID.

Anyone know what parts can be swapped between the two?

1 hour ago, Bob Riding said:

If it is a S-22,you will find S-22 stamped on a raised surface on the front of the block on the passenger side.

I never really bothered looking for  a serial number,so I can't help you there.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:16 PM, Bob Riding said:

I've gotta quit checking the FB ads so closely. Saw this in a neighboring town and after checking it out and a bit of negotiating, went back the next day and bought it.  It's a '54 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe 4 dr sedan with the upgraded 235 hp 331 cu in hemi and Torqueflite. The PO ran it for me (for a few seconds, since there was no gas tank), but it turns over and runs!  It looks like the original Carter WCFB 4 bbl is in place, but not sure if it's in working condition. The car was last registered in '94, the interior is stripped except for the dash, steering wheel gauges, etc which look to be in really good shape. My plans are to use its best bits (and the upgraded engine) for my '54 Town and Country wagon, and after the transplant, sell it as a nice project car since it is virtually rust-free. I am apparently the third owner, and it was always registered in California, so that's a plus.

I'm gonna play with the engine (check fluids, replace the belts, hoses, plugs etc.) and hook it up to my vintage engine tester and see what I get. I thanked the PO, who was a young guy, for not molesting it and he said he wanted to keep it stock. Maybe there's hope for the future?

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_1405.jpeg

Great find, and that NASA Tune-Up machine is outrageously cool!