Starter options when converting to 12 volts

bkahler

I've made or am in the process of making the change to 12 volts.  I really like the foot pedal starter arrangement and want to keep that configuration and don't want to use a starter that requires a starter solenoid.  With that in mind I've been planning on using the original 6-volt starter.  Just recently I got to wondering if there was a 12 volt starter made that used the foot pedal configuration?  If not is it possible to swap the armature and fields from a 12 volt housing to a 6 volt housing to allow retention of the foot pedal when switching to 12 volts?

Thanks!

Brad

My 56 PU is equipped with a 12v system and foot starter from the factory.   It will be replaced with a bendix style that is on the replacement engine.

But,  if I were you, the 6v would be left in place.  They work fine on 12, faster but since it is used so intermittently it should last a long time.  Dad and I used a 51 chevy 1 ton wrecker with a later 235 and 12v system but with its original 6v starter for 10 years.   Many starts every day and no issues.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kencombs said:

My 56 PU is equipped with a 12v system and foot starter from the factory.   It will be replaced with a bendix style that is on the replacement engine.

But,  if I were you, the 6v would be left in place.  They work fine on 12, faster but since it is used so intermittently it should last a long time.  Dad and I used a 51 chevy 1 ton wrecker with a later 235 and 12v system but with its original 6v starter for 10 years.   Many starts every day and no issues.

My WWII 1944 GMC CCKW 353 is equipped with 6V armature and housing.Fields(4) are 12V.Always work fine.Now I am rewind the armature to 12V.

The rebuilder i used to deal with back in my parts days said the 6 volt starter will be fine on 12 volts.6 vilt has heavier windings.  Polarity is also irrelevant. 
i used my brand new 6 volt starter in my fargo for a few months until engine swap and it was fine. 

This is probably one of those cases where I'm over thinking things, I do that a lot :)

This post by Don Coatney is what prompted me to ask the original question.  I had always planned on using the 6-volt starter with the 12 volt conversion.  After reading Don's post my mind went into overdrive and I decided to look at the options.

I think I'll just stick with what I have and if I have problems I'll address them at that time.

Thanks!

A couple of my vehicles have be converted to 12 volt. original 6 volt starters work fine, just make sure your vehicle is well tuned and you will find the 12 volts will start your vehicle very fast.

27 minutes ago, bkahler said:

This is probably one of those cases where I'm over thinking things, I do that a lot :)

This post by Don Coatney is what prompted me to ask the original question.  I had always planned on using the 6-volt starter with the 12 volt conversion.  After reading Don's post my mind went into overdrive and I decided to look at the options.

I think I'll just stick with what I have and if I have problems I'll address them at that time.

Thanks!

I believe Don's concern was the gear smashing into the flywheel and eventually getting damaged. On a foot start truck where you engage that gear manually I don't think it's nearly as much of an issue

9 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I believe Don's concern was the gear smashing into the flywheel and eventually getting damaged. On a foot start truck where you engage that gear manually I don't think it's nearly as much of an issue

This! My ‘52 cockshutt 40 does the occasional failure to mesh and makes an awful racket. But its been doing it for 10 years. 

For foot pedal starters I read that you are supposed to stomp on them, like you would if there was a loose $50 bill on the ground on a windy day.

• Haha 1

Yeah the copper contacts in the starter switch get dirty fairly quickly, so if'n ya just step on the pedal lightly, there is a possibility of arcing that further increases contact impedance.  For this reason and the fact that I didn't drive the flatheads every day, every spring I would remove the starter switch and clean the contacts to get things going after the winter hiatus.  Upon assembly, I would check starter pinion engagement, usually I would need to adjust the starter switch so it would contact at the right time...usually the button would vibrate out a little after a year of bouncing in between the ditches on the lumpy local roads, so I'd turn it in a tad :cool:

• Thanks 1

Converted my B1D and 36 Plymouth to 12v years ago.  No problems w either I’m just careful not to grind on them a long time to avoid damaging the starters.  They’re both great starting engines so that isn’t normally a problem.