Road Trip Advice/Adjustments?

Noah H

Hello, 

I want to drive my Meadowbrook a total of 800 miles this weekend. But need some advice on how to get it ready. 

I daily drive this car and trust it no doubt

I preformed a valve adjustment per manual .008 intake and .010 exhaust hot. I have done many valve adjustments on these flatheads so this one was a walk in the park. 

when engine warms up I am idling at about 450 rpm a significant tick. As soon as I touch the gas/ higher rpms the tick goes away. I have also concluded that it happens sparingly. 

went back and checked all my clearances and all checked out great. Don’t want tighten any more to risk burned valves. 

This is my only trouble at the moment. 60 mph down the highway brings no weird noises just the purr of the engine. 

I have new tires, brakes, fuel pump, filter, gas lines, cap and rotor points plugs etc.

thoughts on 20w-50 vr1 ? (currently in car) 

Educate me on what should be done. Not only with maintenance but experience. 

Thanks! 

Edited by Noah H

We just did about 500 miles on the P15 Picnic Tour, as did 9 or so other old Mopar flatheads.  The only issue amongst the group was a failure to charge situation that was rectified by a close by shop.

I have a travel kit in the trunk that consists of

AAA card

Tow strap

Fire extinguisher

An extra distributor

Upper and lower radiator hose

Spare fan belt

Set of generator brushes

Two fuel filters with clamps

A three foot length of non metallic fuel hose

head gasket

Ground cloth, gloves, handy wipes, roll of paper shop towels

Roll of duct tape, and electrical tape

The 30 Amp headlight switch fuse

Several 6 ft lengths of various gauge insulated wire

Small toolbox with assorted hand tools

Get out there and drive that thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

Locate forum members along the route for coffee stops and emergency help. Watch your temp guage and oil pressure and enjoy. 

Will be going through western Kansas through Kansas City then through Missouri and ending up in St. Louis 

Doing a 200 plus mile jaunt tomorrow.   Ticking usually means loose clearances.  Loose is better than too tight.  Tight gets tighter when things expand with heat, thereby keeping the valve from fully seating when closed..  this can lead to hot spots and burning valve or seat if it continues for a while.  Loose just means the valve isn't opening as long and as high as specified..  this might have a slight effect on fuel air volume going to the cylinder, but wouldn't be noticeable unless they were all very loose. 

Have you done a recent compression gauge check or run a vacuum gauge check? 

Are you sure your ticking isn't a slight exhaust leak that gets lost in other mechanical noises at higher rpm? 

52 minutes ago, greg g said:

Doing a 200 plus mile jaunt tomorrow.   Ticking usually means loose clearances.  Loose is better than too tight.  Tight gets tighter when things expand with heat, thereby keeping the valve from fully seating when closed..  this can lead to hot spots and burning valve or seat if it continues for a while.  Loose just means the valve isn't opening as long and as high as specified..  this might have a slight effect on fuel air volume going to the cylinder, but wouldn't be noticeable unless they were all very loose. 

Have you done a recent compression gauge check or run a vacuum gauge check? 

Are you sure your ticking isn't a slight exhaust leak that gets lost in other mechanical noises at higher rpm? 

Thanks, it only occurs sometimes at idle , but when I increase rpms it goes away. Have not done a compression test. Off topic but, should I adjust my timing via a timing light or vacuum gauge? 

My 251 cu,in. in my Dodge after I adjusted the valves ,this summer, did the same thing,,  maybe one is too loose but like greg g    it is better a little on the loose side than too tight,, after this long winter, I will get an other go at it..  and also I will do the timing with a vacuum gauge..

Edited by lepic56
forgot the timing method

2 hours ago, lepic56 said:

My 251 cu,in. in my Dodge after I adjusted the valves ,this summer, did the same thing,,  maybe one is too loose but like greg g    it is better a little on the loose side than too tight,, after this long winter, I will get an other go at it..  and also I will do the timing with a vacuum gauge..

Adjust the distributer to the highest vacuum? Tighten it down then good to go? 

• Like 1

You need to go out and do some brisk acceleration and pull a couple grades.  Typically there might be some pinging under load.  Leave the dist snugged but not tight so you can make road side adjustments. Usually need to retard it a couple degrees from high vacuum setting to find the no ping setting. Then tighten it down.  When back in the shop, adjust idle rpm to 450 to 500.

• Like 2

Ticks can also be fuel pump and fan belt, especially the modern cogged ones.

Greg G has a good list. I might add an item I have in all my cars. A disposable hazmat suit. When I drive these classics, I'm always wearing my best. In case you need to lie under car. Cost around $10. :)

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, chrysler1941 said:

Ticks can also be fuel pump and fan belt, especially the modern cogged ones.

Greg G has a good list. I might add an item I have in all my cars. A disposable hazmat suit. When I drive these classics, I'm always wearing by best. In case you need to lie under car. Cost around $10. :)

Great point, never thought of that! Clever. 

15 hours ago, greg g said:

You need to go out and do some brisk acceleration and pull a couple grades.  Typically there might be some pinging under load.  Leave the dist snugged but not tight so you can make road side adjustments. Usually need to retard it a couple degrees from high vacuum setting to find the no ping setting. Then tighten it down.  When back in the shop, adjust idle rpm to 450 to 500.

Will you used Regular 87 or Premiun 91 fuel (all ethanol free of course)  to do the timing, or you just do the adjustments with the type of fuel you used all the times?? 

On 10/13/2021 at 10:13 AM, greg g said:

We just did about 500 miles on the P15 Picnic Tour, as did 9 or so other old Mopar flatheads.  The only issue amongst the group was a failure to charge situation that was rectified by a close by shop.

I have a travel kit in the trunk that consists of

AAA card

Tow strap

Fire extinguisher

An extra distributor

Upper and lower radiator hose

Spare fan belt

Set of generator brushes

Two fuel filters with clamps

A three foot length of non metallic fuel hose

head gasket

Ground cloth, gloves, handy wipes, roll of paper shop towels

Roll of duct tape, and electrical tape

The 30 Amp headlight switch fuse

Several 6 ft lengths of various gauge insulated wire

Small toolbox with assorted hand tools

Get out there and drive that thing.

Greg ,, a head gasket,??, are they prone to blow,  I will get one, they are not expensive, I got every thing else..  thank you.. I like to go to the Picnic next summer,  I was thinking about trailering My Dodge across the Border with my Pick-up, I couls save 120 miles of bad road!! lol !! then unload it around Newport, Vermont,   and drive to the picnic.., but will see still a few months away...

Have had 3 or four instances since 2008  on Plymouth trips where someone one needed a head gasket. So I carry one for me and a gently used one for friends andneighbors, and my old Kmart torque wrench.  Also have a couple boiler plugs in case of soft plug issues.  

Just did a 300 miler  last Thursday.   Fine time to find my headlights and rear running lamps inoperative. 

Hey looks like the borders may be opening soon for general travel.  Put the 16 through 19 of September on your calendar for the 2022 edition of the P15  Picnic USA IN New Hampshire.

Edited by greg g
  • Thanks 1