On my original master cylinder, installing a combination valve ?

lepic56
Go to solution Solved by Sniper,

I Have a 1951 Canadian Dodge (Plodge) lol.. 

with a stock master cylinder that has 2 outlets, I consider installing a combination valve to added safety.  It wont help if my master cylinder fails but it will help if I blow a line between the valve and the front or rear brakes. 

Question is  anybody has try it and what brand of car did it came from.??

mc.jpg

Original master with 2 ports? Seems odd for 1951. Im assuming its a single master with 2 fittings. 
you need a dual master to work with the proportioning valve. If you are retro-fitting, might as well go with the whole thing. 

• Solution

A combination valve is designed to work with disc/drum combos.  One of the functions it performs is hold off, that's where it blocks pressure to the front brakes till a set point is reached then allows front brake pressure to pass.  This is to allow the drums in the rear to take up the shoe to drum clearance before it allows the discs to apply, this is to ensure all four brakes apply simultaneously.  In our all drum setups the brake adjustment sets the clearances equally and the take up is automatic at all four corners. 

Another function is proportioning.  Proportioning is where the valve slows the rate of brake pressure increase to the rear drums in a self energizing drum setup, you do not have that setup.  The reason for this slowing is that self energizing drums, by design, use leverage to increase the apply braking force and without decreasing the rate of pressure apply the rears can lock up before the fronts.  In an all drum setup, either self energizing or not, the rate of braking force increase is the same at all four corners and proportioning is handled by drum, shoe and/or wheel cylinder sizing. 

All you need is a distribution block with a built in warning light setup to do what you want.  Such as Right Stuff Detailing PV11.  But these are usually setup for two lines out to the front brakes.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your answers,, after reading this and other topics on brake up-date, (dual MC, disks and all..).  The Dodge is bone stock , the brake system works excellent and I used it only on roads with a speed limit of 55 or less, so if I keep my stock brake systems in top shape, I should be ok for a long time,,  Maybe change the brake fluid every 2 years, since there is so much temperature variation during the year and humid too!!   And it wouldn't hurt to do a good check-up on the brake system at the same time.   I should invest in a good set of seat belts instead!!  LOL.