48 DeSoto clutch shaft removal.

MarcDeSoto

I'm thinking of removing the clutch shaft as it's very dirty.  Is that a bad idea condering I would have to release the over center spring?  I was thinking of removing the two bolts that hold the shaft to the frame to release the spring.  How hard is it to replace that heavy spring?  Do you need a special tool?  

P1020730.JPG

linkage 11.jpg

Yes, I just removed it with instructions from 41Chrysler.  Turns out it's no big deal and was easy to remove.  I removed the two bolts that hold the heavy spring to the frame and it came off easily.  Now I can clean it up so it looks brand new.  Look at the shaft on the MoPar filmstrip and see what they look like clean.  I'll bet they didn't look like that for very long!  Here is the filmstrip and the clutch shaft is about 10 mins. into the film.  

https://mymopar.com/mtsc-1948-volume-2-4-a-good-man-in-the-clutch/

6 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

By bottom bracket, I mean the two bolts that hold the over-center spring to the lower frame as seen in the photo above.  

Looks you opened 2 threads regarding your linkage endeavor :)

In the other thread you asked:

"Is it OK to remove the top bracket first to remove the spring, or should I first remove the bottom bracket first, or does it matter? "

https://p15-d24.com/topic/56599-how-do-i-connect-linkage-on-48-desoto/?tab=comments#comment-608528

I was wondering about top bracket question. Over spring has only a lower bracket. Upper part is hooked around a stud.

Edited by chrysler1941

You can clearly see the top bracket in my pic above.  It secures the clutch shaft in place.  Maybe the pre-war cars are different?  I tried to hook up the clutch return spring, but it catches on the bell crank.  Are the bell crank arms supposed to slant in or out?  I think they are supposed to slant in.  I have the spring bracket sticking straight out.  Maybe it's supposed to slant down.  I'm not sure if I got the right spring, but I think so.  Here is Junkers pic of his linkage on a 47 DeSoto.  Looks like his return spring bracket points down and is inside of the selector rods.  Also, I added my pics showing my crooked spring hitting the bell crank.  

clutch return spring.jpg

P1020735.JPG

P1020736.JPG

P1020734.JPG

• Like 2

Looks like you have your bracket mounted vertically to the front and in Junkers photo it is mounted horizontally on the bottom. Also, his is switched end for end of the way you have yours mounted. You can see the notch in the bracket to allow for the spring to fit in the notch. His spring is attached with the long end to the back and the short hook to the bracket with the notch. His photo is taken from the bottom looking up. Oil pan on the left and starter at the top.

• Like 1

I changed the the mounting of the clutch return spring as you said.  I'm not sure if I have the correct spring as the Parts Manual doesn't give the dimensions.  I mounted the bell crank with the arms slanting away from the bell housing.  I changed the orientation of the spring hook to I hope the correct way.  Look at these pics and let me know if it's right.  Thanks.  

P1020747.JPG

P1020748.JPG

P1020749.JPG

P1020750.JPG

P1020750.JPG

P1020751.JPG

P1020752.JPG

• Like 1

I don't have this spring setup on mine as mentioned earlier, mine goes to frame, but it looks correct if you compare to Junckers photo and this drawing. This drawing is for your post war model.

Spring looks a bit .......what's the word...loose? But as long as it works, it's probably ok. 

Notch in bracket is for spring coil winding edge. Hope you understand me. As you probably have noticed, English is not my first language :)

When you mount shift linkages, bell crank will position accordingly. 

image_2021-10-13_214817.png

Edited by chrysler1941

Thanks 41,  your pictures are worth a thousand words!  The clutch return spring on my car is very tight, not loose at all. Your English is perfecto as far as I'm concerned!  I've seen your car and I think it's a 3 window coupe.  It is stunning!  Marc. 

• Thanks 1