Access Cover on Coupe Floor

Happy 46R
Go to solution Solved by Pete,

I recently removed the floorboard access cover on my 46 Dodge Coupe during a brake system overhaul. Half of the cover has a thin layer of black material between the cover and the floorboard. The other half doesn't. This is definitely a cloth type material and not any gasket type material I have ever run across. The material is very light weight and about an inch wide with holes where the bolts go through and doesn't really appear to be commercially made as the edges are ragged and it is straight cut not bent or curved to match floor pan.

My service manual doesn't identify a part for this so I am wondering if this is something added in by a previous owner or some sort of a special material meant to keep the two pieces from squeaking or vibrating during operation. I am also assuming that there would have to be some sort of protection to keep moisture and road grime from entering the cabin? Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks. Dave

material.jpg

• Solution

I recently had a local shop make a new floor access panel for my '39 Plymouth. The panel that was in there was a crappy hack of a job. I used rubber to seal around the edges. It has worked well.

Pete