Exhaust routing through frame

40desoto

Hello I'm inquiring if anyone has successfully ran dual exhaust from an inline 6 motor and through the frame?  

I have no clearance under the frame so need to run parallel or/and in some areas through the frame.

Attached is an example  (not mopar sorry)

Xframe_exhaust.jpg

Thank You Mark.  Im not sure what year they stopped using the X Frame style chassis.  Looks like yours has much more room.

My 1940 has an Xframe that the center appears to be about 1/4 to about 1 inch lower that the rest of the car.  Tappers from the center X outwards .

This is a custom car in which the X will sit on floor when the cars airbags are deflated.  Ive seen many cars with these X frames sitting this low with dual exhaust but never looked under to see how they routed the exhaust.  Most are V8's so they car run each exhaust rear to back on each side.

I will have to run one exhaust under to route it though the drivers side of the car.  Looks like there is a small space between the motor and transmission that might work.

I'll be removing the body off the frame again and will have full access to fabricate an exhaust but my concerns are:

-Heating other components due to proximity

-where to add disconnects to make them accessible when replacement is needed

-crossing one exhaust to the drivers side.

• Like 1

This is my next challenge, it’s got a X frame also, I’ll be interested watching your routing. Prepping all the parts now to make some upgrades this winter. 

image.jpg

CA0CB104-952C-4E89-9050-E61F95424940.jpeg

88EBCAE4-188A-49CE-97A0-817D764B887A.jpeg

Edited by Mark D

7 hours ago, Mark D said:

This is my next challenge, it’s got a X frame also, I’ll be interested watching your routing. Prepping all the parts now to make some upgrades this winter. 

image.jpg

CA0CB104-952C-4E89-9050-E61F95424940.jpeg

88EBCAE4-188A-49CE-97A0-817D764B887A.jpeg

Thats a beautiful convertible!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40desoto said:

I had similar speed goodies for my 25" Chrysler block.  The aluminum head was swiss cheese and I couldnt let go the cast head with he Spitfire script on top.  

I’ve heard the stories as well. Fortunately, I’ve seen this one on a running motor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark D said:

Been collecting this stuff, now I need to find a decent 230 to build.

1DA66AB0-B08F-476B-89A3-2ECCA2828062.jpeg

You can always sell that second aluminum head and second dual intake and use the money to but a good running 230.  ?

Edited by 40desoto