Blue Devil stop engine leak product??

lepic56

sadly...this falls into snake oil category......do yourself and the car a favor...renew the seal...if just the seal....you still need to remove the cover so new gasket should be in place here also.....you will loosely fit the screws allowing the cover to float a bit....use the harmonic damper/hub as per case....and let that center the seal properly.  Carefully snug up the cover bolts....if there are some the pulley/damper hides...slide it back off once they are snugged to prevent shifting and torque properly.  

• Like 2

most of the "stop leak" in a bottle end up softening the seal.  I've never found any that really works for any more than short term.  Check your pully/dampner for a wear groove where the seal rides.   Speedi sleeve may be needed.

• Like 2

Years ago when I was a poor sailor I had a junkyard refugee for a car.  It had a leaky radiator.  I put Bars Leak in it and it sure enough stopped those leaks, long enough for the pressure to build and some other weak spot to pop and start leaking.  So I tried a junkyard radiator.  I earned that fixing the issue properly was cheaper in the long run.  In this case properly being buying a better car to begin with, lol.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for the great advises, I will change the seal & gaskets, I have a speedi sleeve on order.., anyway these cars are so easy (most of the time) &  fun to fix..

thank you all again

14 hours ago, Sniper said:

Years ago when I was a poor sailor I had a junkyard refugee for a car.  It had a leaky radiator.  I put Bars Leak in it and it sure enough stopped those leaks, long enough for the pressure to build and some other weak spot to pop and start leaking.  So I tried a junkyard radiator.  I earned that fixing the issue properly was cheaper in the long run.  In this case properly being buying a better car to begin with, lol.  

Radiator woes..everything from sawdust to black pepper. Pass the biscuits please

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My neighbor who used to have a home based car repair business put a type of “glass” he called it stop leak in a customers Cadillac( the customer wanted that used) and it was a complicated process that took a couple of fill and drains.  After it was done the leak was gone and the last I heard a few years ago had not returned. No idea about what it was  Magic I suppose. 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Haha 1

I have a vague recollection of a former coworker of mine using something called, I want to say, liquid glass, after doing a sleeve replacement on his farm tractor.  Claimed it was factory recommended and worked.  Other than that, I know nothing.

• Like 1

Snipper,

What your former co-worker was referring to, was "Water Glass' or Sodium Silicate.

About 45 years ago, my Michigan car club had a 'killer' '64 Imperial demolition derby car. Although it ran very well, it's 440 had a weeping/cracked block water jacket. One of our members suggested trying this "Water Glass". We did, and it worked!

Walt