How do I connect linkage on 48 DeSoto?

MarcDeSoto

See my other post on removing the clutch shaft.  

I have a couple more question about Junkers pics.  The rusty bracket with the triangular point holding a spring is for the clutch return spring, right?  And what does this spring that is hooked onto the frame go to?  

clutch return spring.jpg

frame spring.jpeg

Edited by MarcDeSoto

10 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Is it OK to remove the top bracket first to remove the spring, or should I first remove the bottom bracket first, or does it matter?  

When I removed and reinstalled mine, I had to use bottom bracket first. Spring top hook is too stiff. 

Watch out you don't strip or cross threads in frame. 

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 1

I've noticed something on the bell crank.  41's pic shows a 4l Chrysler's bell crank pointed down.  But the sketch I showed show the bell crank pointed up!  I have a 48 DeSoto.  Should I point the bell crank arms up OR DOWN???  THERE'S also a difference in where the shift rods go in on the bell crank.  The the sketch is obviously wrong.  I don't even know who drew it and they even have the wrong rods going the bell crank!  Now I'm trying to figure out where the left rod on the bell crank goes.  I'm pretty sure it goes to the  right side of the lever on the shift rod.  I think there is supposed to be a rubber grommet there.  Do they sell new ones?  

linkage 6.jpg

link bell 3.jpg

12 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I just checked Steele Rubber and not even they sell that rubber grommet that goes on the shift lever.  Does anyone have a solution about making your own?  

You talking about the grommet pictured above 19-46-37? It's been a few years but I was able to purchase one I believe off eBay

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Young Ed said:

You talking about the grommet pictured above 19-46-37? It's been a few years but I was able to purchase one I believe off eBay

Well, it's the grommet just above that number.  Looks like grommets are more of a generic item than I thought.