How do I connect linkage on 48 DeSoto?

MarcDeSoto

I'm now trying to reconnect the linkage on my 48 DeSoto.  The S-11 Parts Book shows some drawings, but I'm still confused.  Some of the linkage joints need new rubber grommets.  Can they be bought anywhere?  What goes on the flat spot on the left side of the bell housing where there are two screw holes.  Is that where the bell crank goes?  Thanks, Marc.

linkage 5.jpg

linkage 6.jpg

linkage 8.jpg

linkage 11.jpg

This isn’t too much of a help but it’s the only photo I have of my 47 DeSoto linkage from when I replaced the master cylinder and was in the process of the re wire job

EDF70B68-8786-4464-94F8-15A251954EEF.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh, thank you Junkers!  My friend Tim Holbert of WV sent me some excellent pics of his 51 DeSoto, but it's different from a 48.  From your pic above, it looks like the bellcrank attaches to the bell housing.  On a 51, the bellcrank attaches to the inside of the frame.  

bellcrank.jpg

bellcrank1.jpg

bellcrank 2.jpg

bellcrank3.jpg

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Thanks Junkers!!!  Your pics are very helpful.  I can see that a rectangular thin piece of metal goes in the two holes in the side of the bell housing.  And I think the bell crank goes somewhere on it.  There are certainly a lot of springs involved.  One of the springs looks like it hooks into a hole in the frame.  This really helps!  Marc.

I looked in the D-24 and P-15 Parts Books, and they have a better blow up of the linkage parts.  The bell crank doesn't screw into the bell housing directly, but into the bottom hole of bracket 19-52-9 with a special sleeved bolt.  This bracket has three holes and I think the top two holes go in the two threaded holes on the bell housing boss on the outside of where the starter goes in.  Piggy backing on this bracket is the clutch part 6-52-5 with four holes in it.  It is called a spring, but is a flat rectangle.  You can see it in the clutch linkage blow up above.  

link bell.jpg

link bell 3.jpg

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Marc....in your pic of plate 6-3 it shows what looks like a small piece of flat "SPRING" steel plate, # 6-52-5, this bolts onto the bellhousing, then bracket 6-53-5 bolts onto it and the shaft 6-52-1 slips into the two piece "bearings" # 6-52-11 which then fit around the "ball" on bracket # 6-53-5...............bracket 6-53-8 is on the opposite end of the shaft # 6-52-1 and attaches onto the frame and allows the clutch linkage to pivot ............dunno if this helps........BTW is it the clutch linkage that is the problem or the shifter linkage?..............andyd   

• Like 1

Right now I'm concerned with the transmission linkage.  I included the blow up of the clutch linkage to show that spring steel plate because I think the bracket that the bell crank (that's the upside down V shaped lever) connects to connects to that spring steel plate on the side of the bell housing.  I just have to get all of my parts together which is a bit of a challenge after almost 40 years apart!  I wish I had a parts car with all the parts of the linkage intact so I could reference and borrow missing parts.  I think if I contacted a junk yard and asked them to get little linkage parts, they would ignore me.  

4 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Right now I'm concerned with the transmission linkage.  I included the blow up of the clutch linkage to show that spring steel plate because I think the bracket that the bell crank (that's the upside down V shaped lever) connects to connects to that spring steel plate on the side of the bell housing.  I just have to get all of my parts together which is a bit of a challenge after almost 40 years apart!  I wish I had a parts car with all the parts of the linkage intact so I could reference and borrow missing parts.  I think if I contacted a junk yard and asked them to get little linkage parts, they would ignore me.  

I read through the thread twice and still confused what you need. Let me know if it's not it.

M5/6 and manual transmission have different bell crank bracket. Maybe this photo will help. 

image_2021-10-10_052753.png

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 2

Here's a photo f my 47DeSoto, which I titled "spring bracket".  It's looking  up.  The oil pan is to the left, then the bell housing (the bracket from the engine shows two bolts removed.)  The starter (black) is at the top.  Note the rusty trapezoidal spring bracket.  I hope this helps. 

1025135772_transetc17springbracket.jpg.dcfd2b6d2112a71eb2c12d0fae7fbdb3.jpg

• Like 1

chrysler41, Where did you get that excellent picture of the transmission linkage?  I assume that is a picture of the M5 since the M6 I think has the bell crank attached to the frame instead of the bell housing as pictured above on my friend's 51 DeSoto.  To be clear, I have the M5 transmission in my 48 DeSoto.  I have to go through my stray parts and hope I have the missing ones.  If I don't have all the parts, then I will have to hunt down a parts car or a yard with a parts car.  Thank you Donald for the pic from your 47.  I see the clutch over center spring on the right.  Then there is a long spring behind it.  what does that spring go to?  And the spring on that trianglar bracket goes to the clutch fork.  All actual pics of the linkage helps!  Marc. 

I'm looking through all of my parts cans now to find missing linkage parts.  So I guess I'm looking for the missing link!  My efforts today found a couple of important parts.  The clutch flat metal spring with four holes in it and an arm and ball to go on the clutch shaft.  I never though I'd also find the bearing, but just found them.  I also found the pointed bracket that holds the clutch release spring.  Question:  As you can see in the pic, the clutch shaft is leaning toward the left.  Should I unhook the clutch overcenter spring in order to align it?  And do you need a special tool to remove that heavy spring? 

P1020728.JPG

P1020729.JPG

P1020730.JPG

Left side of my 48 DeSoto showing transmission shifter rods.  In front is the clutch fork.  The second pic shows the parts I found today.  On the left is I think a door plate.  In the middle are the two bearings that go around the clutch shaft ball.  So I hope to keep finding more linkage parts or else.  

P1020732.JPG

P1020733.JPG

Regarding those two bearings............here in Oz the Oz Valiants used a nylon version of those split bearings which were identical in size, shape etc and I would have thought originated in the USA in your 1960's manual trans cars........andyd 

• Like 1

The main part I'm missing now is the bracket (19-52-9) in Plate 19-3 that is oblong with three holes.  I think this bracket goes on first because there is a divot on the boss of the bell housing, and the spring plate would not fit too well if it were put on first, but I'm not sure.  But when I look at Junkers first pic, I see the spring plate without the bracket on top of it, and I think I can see the bracket behind it.  If I can find bracket 19-52-9, I think I will have most of the hard to find parts of my linkage.  Then I will have to find the right size bolts, washers, and various springs to fit it together.  

link bell 3.jpg

Edited by MarcDeSoto

9 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Where did you get that excellent picture of the transmission linkage?  I assume that is a picture of the M5 since the M6

1941 Chrysler Shop Manual. Pictured is a M4 but linkages are same.

And do you need a special tool to remove that heavy spring Nope install top part of hook. Insert a philips screwdriver into one of the two holes in bracket and aim for same hole on frame. Then pry downwards until bracket meets frame and screw in bolt for other hole. 

In my opinion this spring is useless useless one has chicken legs ;)

Then there is a long spring behind it.  what does that spring go to?  , into a hole on frame. #12

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 1

I smiled when I saw your photo with split bearing and clutch spring bracket. 

I had lengthy discussion with everybody on this site some years ago asking about where my clutch return spring is attached. I even showed them photos of my clutch housing has no room for it but no cigar.  Everybody insisted this is the correct bracket 6-26-6.

Some time after, I got the shop manual and it clearly shows the pre-war M4/Fluid Drive uses a long clutch spring also inserts into frame. Here's a photo, maybe you can use it.

image_2021-10-11_062902.png

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 1

Thanks 1941 and Junkers!  Yes, Junkers, I thought you had improvised on your spring on the transmission shifter.  The Parts Man. gives specs for it.  I found the bracket I was looking for that holds the bell crank.  Thank God!  I thought that the clutch return spring hooks onto that bracket with two triangular points.  Or maybe that's just on the post war cars.  Now, I'm thinking about removing the clutch shaft for cleaning.  Is that OK to do, or is it too hard to put the over center spring back?  

4 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

too hard to put the over center spring back?

You're welcome

Maybe you missed it earlier but here is what I did.

install top part of hook. Insert a philips screwdriver into one of the two holes in bracket and aim for same hole on frame. Then pry downwards until bracket meets frame and screw in bolt for other hole. 

• Like 1