1936 Airflow engine

Mertz

I’m being offered a 1936 L6 Chrysler Airflow engine part number C7-17969. It is supposedly a 20.5” engine. He says it has a bigger displacement than my Plymouth engine. Does anyone know about this engine and it’s specs?

• Like 1

From page 90 of Chrysler Engines 1922-1998 by Willem Weertman:

Displacement 241.5 cid

Bore 3.375

Stroke 4.5

93 or 100 hp

Compression ratio 6 to 1 or 6.5 to 1

Torque 180 or 185 lb-ft

Block length 26.75 (note this is not the head length)

4 main bearings

The C7 of 1936 had integrally forged crankshaft counter weights (some earlier engines had bolt on counter weights)

I bbl downdraft carburetor

Does that fit your request?

Nice find on the engine.  The 1936 Chrysler C7 is the more conventional Airstream model rather than the Chrysler Airflow. The specs as listed by Loren are correct for that engine.?

• Like 1

It has always been my understanding that the Chrysler/DeSoto engines are 'long blocks', 25" in lieu of the short block Plym/Dodge engines.  I have a '48 Dodge that I put a Chrysler SpitFire engine in from a '48 DeSoto.

Wm.

In many examples 25" long Desoto and Chrysler engines have been installed in vehicles that originally had 23 ½" engines. It does require some modifications.

Up here in Canada, I believe from about mid-1938 on, all blocks in the Canadian built and domestic sold Mopars were  25" long blocks. They played with bores and strokes to take the same block all the way down to a 218. All the way up to a 265. Suggest you do your research on any 25" long block one may acquire. The 25" 218 is a very different engine than the 218 in the 23 ½" length block. I cannot say with certainty that the same blocks were used in Canadian built Mopars, destined for commonwealth countries.

I am not an authority on the DPCD 25" long block engines, almost enough knowledge to be dangerous. I do know that Chrysler installed the 25" engines in Plymouth/Dodges in Canada, Europe and Australia, badging then as Chrysler's or DeSoto's.

During the '40's Chrysler drilled the frames to accommodate the 25" engine, the radiator had to be moved to the front of the core support.

That is how I put the '48 DeSoto Spitfire engine in my 48 Dodge.

During the 1940's/50's it was very common to see the 25" engine in a Plymouth/Dodge, put there by the owners that wanted more power and speed to keep up with the Chevy's and Fords. A friend of mine had a '39 Dodge 2dr that his parents gave him to drive to school. Terrible looking car!. Wayne put a Chrysler 25" Spitfire with three carbs and home made headers in the car. That Dodge surprised a lot of people, it was very fast. Wm.