Temp Gauge not working: Link??

Go Fleiter

Well, I have to look why my temp gauge left me alone on my last P23 voyage.

I couldn´t find a treat on it in the Technical Archives search section - to much results!

Any hints?

Thanks in advance!

Go

Edited by Go Fleiter

as it a mechanical device (bourdon tube) have you checked your bulb and line for integrity.....often the very leak in these are at the bulb where it is affixed to the head.  As it is a recent failure....there is a possibility you may be able to detect the smell of ether about the gland nut and tube on the head....use of a tube or hose may assist you....remember this is ether....

• Like 2

I assume you have determined the problem was loss of ether....likely removing the bulb is not going to go very easy.....they create such a sealed bond with rust....they usually break tube entry at bulb....but you may loose a bit of coolant so drain the block a bit first as the rad fill line is a bit above the level of the engine...

1 hour ago, Go Fleiter said:

Thanks a lot for all your hints!

Can I take the feeler of the Temp Gauge out without loosing cooling water?

Greetings!

Go

No. The bulb protrudes into the cooling passages in the head, removing it will result in a fairly large drain hole for coolant.

As @Plymouthy Adams notes, the bulb and/or its gland nut are likely to be rusted into place. On my car, and I think the later ones too, there is a small freeze/welch/core plug above the location of the sensing bulb. If the bulb does not pull out after you have removed the gland nut then it may help to remove that core plug from the top of the head and access the back of the bulb with something you can lever to apply force to the back of the bulb.

• Like 1