Stuck differential drain plug. 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

Chrysler engineering wasn't at its best when they designed my diff drain plug.  It has a tiny 1/4" female drain plug and the square 1/4" is stripped out so now it's round.  What's the best way to get it out.  I think it's going to be rusted in place, so I'm thinking of drilling a hole and trying to use an easy out, but the last time I got an Easy out, they were too small and fragile to be able to get something like this out.  Any ideas?  I think I need Keith for this one!  

kill two birds one stone....weld a stem onto in...square drive or hex.....then wrench it out as the heat from the welding will also pretty much kill any rust bond between the threads.....else....drill away...be sure to pull your hog head to clean the shaving from the banjo if go with the drill....

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

kill two birds one stone....weld a stem onto in...square drive or hex.....then wrench it out as the heat from the welding will also pretty much kill any rust bond between the threads.....else....drill away...be sure to pull your hog head to clean the shaving from the banjo if go with the drill....

That's a really good idea!

If I were doing it (and I might have to) I think I'd get a large bolt and grind down the end to fit into the pocket in the drain plug, then weld it.

A nice big hex means a nice long wrench.

Okay I have a plan now for the inevitable.

• Like 1

BTW...That drain plug recess is is a 5/16" square.

That plug can be tight.

Using a small amount of course valve grinding compound on the item to be removed  will make sure the removal tool including screw driver blades will not slip.

• Like 1

Sure wish they had made it a big 9/16" male plug!  The only welding outfit I have is an old oxygen-acetylene unit with empty tanks.  If I got the tanks filled, would it OK to use on this?  I think I've read that another way to do it is to suck the old oil out with a siphon tube.  Not as good as draining though.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Mine was tight as well. I made a square drive 5/16 out of a 3/8th Allen wrench by grinding 2 of the corners flat and touching up 1 of the remaining flats. This also allows you to make it a little oversize and tap it in. Also I cleaned the area on the housing around the plug and warmed area around the plug with a propane torch and that made a big difference, not rusty just gummed up and it release pretty easy after that. Heat around the plug not on it and no reason to go red hot just warm it up. 

• Like 1