Ring and Pinion PITA...

James_Douglas

I have been driving the car around now for a week and I have to say that the 4.3 ratio with the fluid coupling and the three speed with overdrive seems to be a good fit.

The car, even with the tired engine, moves out in City traffic much better. Climbing hills is much better and the 430 or so RPM increase at 65 is no big deal. Although I am sure it will show up in my gas bill.

I think I will send the NOS 4.3 set out for super finishing and then do a careful rebuild of the spare unit.

James

• Like 2

All I've ever seen around this area...4.3 rear ends with OD in 50-54 Plymouths.

Hilly terrain and mountains 4.3 only way to go.

What a PITA....

After two weeks of searching I finally found a trans speedo gear for the 4.3 rear end. I go to put it in and the cable will not go all the way in. Long story short after 3 hours work is that the die that stamps the round shaft into a square for the cable to go into had something in there like an edge or a bur.

I hit the end of the cable with some sandpaper lightly and then used valve lapping compound in the hole and worked the cable in and out for 20 minutes and got the thing to fit and slide nice.  What a PITA.

I will try it out after I eat some lunch and see if the thing works ok or not.

You know, nothing is every easy!

James

• Like 1
  • Sad 1