Buying a 6 volt battery soon for my 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

Re trickle charging. It should be noted that modern Digital Chargers often cannot charge a completely stone dead battery. They need to read some residual voltage on the battery before they can start charging it. 

I literally have had to take my old 6V 1amp analog charger with a transformer in it, (from 1997) to charge up a dead battery. Then when I put the modern digital charger on it, it would then work and charge it.  Initially the digital charger would not work. 

• Like 1

another giant leap forward in technology that binds you hand and foot....basically they saying you do not know what you need and how to use...they know what you need and THIS IS HOW YOU WILL USE IT...they saying to your face that you are too stupid to hook up a battery correctly and for that matter, you may be trying to charge instead the battery hold down strap...

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

They need to read some residual voltage on the battery before they can start charging it. 

Recently purchased a new style battery charger when my Sears quit working. As you stated they need to sense a certain amount of voltage to activate the charging function. The one I purchased has a start setting of 50amp that bounces on and off every few seconds which is another sensor safety feature, once you turn the key on the vehicle it kicks in full for starting. Not a fan of these new chargers so located an older 10 amp manual version on Facebk.

Industry these days must take step to protect themselves from idiots who use the product and in the same token protect these same idiots from themselves.....the culprit here is U....the first letter in user...(no direct intent to any person alive or dead, generalizing only)

I suggest kicking the yard sales and such for good working models of the older style to keep on hand.  I just had one of mine go tits up for 12 volts but the 6 volt function is still fantastic....I will BOLO with the upcoming swap meets and such.  I am not a fan of the modern ones in any fashion. 

Trickle chargers are made for modern enclosed batteries. These do not have vents.

Trickle pulsating charging controls gas. Charging voltage resembles a square form. Simultaneously when pulse is at its fall time, it measures voltage to determine battery status. When battery is fully charged, it turns down current and switches to a continuous discharge/charge status to keep battery in healthy condition.

Charging an optima with a old type lead acid charger will cook it to death.

• Like 1

I suspect most, if not all, conventional 6 volt batteries may be made by the same company (thinking it might be East Penn). When I was shopping for a battery for a Packard (used that long, skinny model) it was clear they all had the same case with a different label. Generally I've had good experiences with NAPA & Tractor Supply as they turn over their stock fairly quickly, at least around where I live (lots of old tractors.) 

41 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Not sure what you are doing but a search for battery pops them up just fine.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/battery

If you need a group 2, NAPA sells them for a few dollars more.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT7204?impressionRank=3

I checked the NAPA website and they say that the group 2 battery won't fit my '48 Dodge. However I currently have group 2 battery in the car and I checked the dimensions of the NAPA battery. It should fit easily. I guess the message is that you shouldn't always believe the store websites. 

I doubt the listing means it won1t fit, it most likely means it's what the factory used back then. 

Looking at the parts book, it shows a MoPar model 1 battery for a 49 Plymouth, not sure if that is the same as a group 1 though.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2021 at 10:38 AM, chrysler1941 said:

Trickle chargers are made for modern enclosed batteries. These do not have vents.

Trickle pulsating charging controls gas. Charging voltage resembles a square form. Simultaneously when pulse is at its fall time, it measures voltage to determine battery status. When battery is fully charged, it turns down current and switches to a continuous discharge/charge status to keep battery in healthy condition.

Charging an optima with a old type lead acid charger will cook it to death.

I always have my batteries on a trickle charger and have had pretty good luck with my batteries. I am contemplating buying two Optima 6v batteries, and have gleaned from your post here that the way to go would be to have them on a trickle charger in the off season?

I have the group 2 NAPA Commercial 6v batteries in our D24 and Terraplane.  Almost too big for the Terraplane, but otherwise good fits, good cranking amps, and both have been in service for 5 years.  (I used Group 1 batteries from AutoZone in the D24 for the longest time, kinda wimpy and never lasted more than 3-4 years.)  No trickle charging, but I do check voltage at least once a month if I haven't driven one or the other, but neither have needed to be topped off.  Both cars are in a heated garage for the 5-6 months of winter up here.  No issues so far.  Batteries have a finite service life, some more than others.  Some need more TLC than others. 

On 11/19/2021 at 6:06 PM, 48jumpdoors said:

I always have my batteries on a trickle charger and have had pretty good luck with my batteries. I am contemplating buying two Optima 6v batteries, and have gleaned from your post here that the way to go would be to have them on a trickle charger in the off season?

Correct. Always trickle charger when car not moving :)