Speedometer cable question

Worden18

I just hooked up a new speedometer cable on my 48 B1C.  Bought it from DCM.  

It seems to be really squealy and somewhat jumpy. The squealing I can definitely hear from the speedometer, not underneath.  I fed the cable in straight and tightened it pretty good. My question is:

Is it supposed to be lubed before installation, and if so, what do I use?

I've never installed one before.

19 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

I just hooked up a new speedometer cable on my 48 B1C.  Bought it from DCM.  

It seems to be really squealy and somewhat jumpy. The squealing I can definitely hear from the speedometer, not underneath.  I fed the cable in straight and tightened it pretty good. My question is:

Is it supposed to be lubed before installation, and if so, what do I use?

I've never installed one before.

a new cable shouldn’t require lube, but the speedo might.  i seem to remember an oil wick on the back of the speedo unit.

Edited by wallytoo
  • Thanks 1

I can't speak to the new cable and if needs to be lubricated. I can say that last winter I lubed my speedometer cable with liquid graphite lube and oiled the speedometer oil wick with clock oil. It cured the bounce my speedometer had when going under 20mph.

• Thanks 1

The speedometer head is probably the cause of the squealing...there is a 3/4" long tube with a screw driver slot in it.

Unscrew it and you will find a wick in it to lube with..

Hopefully the fine oil will fix the issue.

The cable should be lubed too if not already.

• Thanks 1

IMG_20210929_185136391~2.jpg

IMG_20210929_181933326~2.jpg

IMG_20210929_181928683~2.jpg

IMG_20210929_183907828~2.jpg

IMG_20210929_183920452~2.jpg

IMG_20210929_184427625~2.jpg

Pic 1: picking up the kids out front for a test drive.

Pic 2: you can see here the wick is as dry as the desert. I suppose it had never been touched.

Pic 3: it says in the back of the speedometer assembly that it is made in the USA in LaCrosse Wisconsin, just down the road from us!

Pic 4: the wick soaking up some light oil.

Pic 5: speedometer guts on the bench.  I used Super lube lightweight Grease on the worm gear and mating gear that run the odometer.  The remnants of grease that was still on it was old and dry.  The whole assembly was very stiff before the greasing and lubrication.  No wonder it made a bunch of noise.

Final pic: back in business. No noise and no jumping of the needle.  Thanks for the help fellas!  I would have never guessed that there was a wick that needed greasing.

Edited by Worden18

Back on June 22,2020, BrentB3B was working on a speedometer. There is a way to set the needle at zero. B1B Kevin is also a resource for gauge refurbishing. Your lucky it didn’t twist your new cable. I hooked up a speedometer on a chassis I had and twisted the cable at the same place, I assumed it would work, but it was more froze up than yours.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for some B1D knowledge. 

I am ready to install a new speedometer cable after being apart for 4 years. I can’t seem to find a picture of where and how to route it from the transmission  to the speedometer. Does it go through the floor, inside the cab. (under the mat, close to the firewall) or out into the engine compartment and back through the firewall into the speedometer?

Grommet through the floor and or firewall?  

1 hour ago, Gaige said:

Looking for some B1D knowledge. 

I am ready to install a new speedometer cable after being apart for 4 years. I can’t seem to find a picture of where and how to route it from the transmission  to the speedometer. Does it go through the floor, inside the cab. (under the mat, close to the firewall) or out into the engine compartment and back through the firewall into the speedometer?

Grommet through the floor and or firewall?  

You can see the general area where mine comes up through the floor. The shifter and the accelerator are good references. It was a bear to feed it up through there. The previous owner also put a homemade grommet there.   I just ran it along the frame and around to the transmission underneath.  When you feed it through the floor I just ran it across towards the passenger side.  Hope this helps.

IMG_20211019_205306188~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18

1. Thanks Worden—I have that hole in the floorboard— but I could not remember where I took cable out from. I think I may have a grommet on hand that will fit there.   There is also a spring around the new cable from Roberts, any idea where it    goes ?    For support?

9 hours ago, Gaige said:
  1. Thanks Worden—I have that hole in the floorboard— but I could not remember where I took cable out from. I think I may have a grommet on hand that will fit there.   There is also a spring around the new cable from Roberts, any idea where it    goes ?    For support?

I'm stumped on the spring.... I'll look at my B1D tonight and see if I can locate one. 

Merle...first I have heard it called a P clamp....it however does make sense looking at it.  I come to know this as an ADEL clamp....maybe because of my military maintenance background...before than it was just a loop....so I guess if someone was to mention P clamp now I won't wince in pain at the thought of restriction.....lol

Thanks fellows   —  the spring does look. Like it may be for abrasion protection.  The old cable has the clamp on it..Good one about the P clamp. 

unrelated —-  I’m also putting in my new windshield, but the inside trim around the window has staples in the edge of it. I’m told it had (welting) on it.  Is it needed?  Should I be concerned about finding some to put it back on?  

A "P" cable clamp or clip is used to position the cable to the firewall insulator.

A push in sawtooth metal retainer clip holds it in place.

It is approximately 12" straight up from the cable exit hole in the floor board.

You can see the cable and clip...

20211020_082215_compress8.jpg

20211020_081948_compress57.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

• 2 years later...

Purchased a speedo cable from DCM for my 1939 plymouth truck .Trans end of cable fits fine ,but speedometer has internal thread 

and will not accept female tread on new cable .Was this a one off thread change for 1939? Can a split nut or union be inserted ?

Anyone run into this issue? Thanks