Steering box grease

Johnboy

Hi I have a problem with my 1940 P10 steering box leaking oil. I read a post of putting in John Deere corn head grease. They talked about drilling a hole in the bottom of the box and putting in a grease fitting. Taking off the top cap and filling it thru the installed grease fitting till grease appears at top cap. My question is where is the best place to drill the hole in the steering box. Thanks, Johnboy 

46 minutes ago, Jerry Roberts said:

Drilling a hole in your steering box seems pretty severe to me . I am sure that the corn head grease would settle , then you can just ad more grease through the filler cap . 

Agree.   Or just use a unjoint needle to put it deep into the box

• Like 1

Or use Penrite Steering Box Lube which is a grease with a viscosity that is made to be used in vintage type steering boxes............andyd

• Like 1

Hi Andy.  I looked up the Penrite lube.  They say the steering box lube has been replaced by Penrite Semi Fluid Grease and it appears

to only be available in Australia.......6 containers to a case.  Seems that quantity might be a tad more than needed for a refill.  They don't

list a price.....which would probably be in Australian currency.   Then there is the shipping cost.   

Few years ago I put regular  grease in steering box. Now it seem the grease it beginning to dry out. Couldn’t get any of my new grease in box. I read about the grease fitting in another forum . I do have a needle fitting for my grease gun and will try that. Thanks to everyone for there input 

A really crappy website but supposedly the US seller for Penrite

https://restorationstuff.com/

I really hate the flip type catalog they are using.  Page 24, on the bottom, $19 for a bottle, says 500 gram, I think they mean 500 ml.

Edited by Sniper

There is a lot of hype on all of the vintage car forums about using "JD cornhead grease" in steering gears. I for one don't think much of the idea. I have used STP/Motor honey in many vintage steering gear boxes with great results. 

I place the STP container out in the sun for awhile, insert a small funnel into the fill opening of the gear box and slowly pore the STP into the box, leaving a little room for expansion.

A lot of people have been talking up the Penrite lube in vintage steering gears. The Penrite reputedly is not effected by cold weather and stays fluid.

Many old car parts dealers stock Penrite, Bob's Buick in Atascadero, CA is one source. Wm.

The correct way is to fix the leak...but at times people cannot or don't want to.

So flowable high pressure grease can generally used with minimal leakage.

NLGI #00 or even more flowable #000.

Corn Head is #00.

Thinner syrupy type lubes usually will weep out of the worn damaged steering box seal IMO.?

• Like 1

Bob.........as far as I knew Penrite was available in the US...........I understand people using some sort of grease but for me the main thing is whatever is used it must be viscous enough to flow in and around the bearings, bushings, worm & rollers.........and I worry that grease may not be thin enough to do just that.....the STP idea seems o/k also............andyd 

NGLI  grease #00 and or 000 is not too thick or too thin...

600W will leak out over a few months on some boxes.

Tried it...ended up doing a costly box rebuild and machine work on a C2 box.

It has not leaked anymore.

That's the right fix.?

I needed to grease my steering house some years ago. We don't have fancy Penrite or Corn-whatever but we are neighbors to the manufacturer of the  superior HIAB loader cranes, they use a special slewing grease.

It's black, sticky, filthy. Doesn't drip, Sticks to hand, clothes and doesn't come off anything. Perfect for steering box ;)

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 1

Slew grease is nasty stuff, not really meant for enclosed spaces as it basically just forms a thin friction-reducing film when compressed but eventually sloughs off the load bearing surfaces, not sure if it's meant for a worm gear application...I would think that it's tackiness would damage the output shaft seal to the point where the sealing material is removed from the seal assembly.  Slew grease is kinda chunky and not known for being able to displace moisture as well as the corn head grease that can flow more easily into tight spaces.  And WOW does slew grease stink ?

I thought it was "Sloth"grease that stinks..?

• Haha 1