Transmissions

Morris Gould

Might depend on what engine you have, maybe post that info.

AFAIK, a 218 6cyl had some changes to starter location in 1935. So A 1935 to 37 you would need to swap bell housings at least possibly flywheel also.

So 37 to 36 should be fine .... you need to check your u-joints also, they may be different between the car and truck ... should be a simple fix if you have both transmission.

But that info is for a 23" 218. If you have a 201 or a 25" engine, I have no clue.

You should be fine. Strange things do happen.

My first project truck was a 1949 B1C 3/4 ton. I found it had a 1937 218 engine, had a 1/2 ton front axle ... who knows what else the farmer did to it.

Was it the trans from the 37 or was it the original from the 49? Good chance a 3/4 ton factory flatbed would have a 4 spd. I had a 3spd.

I did a lot of reading at that time & when I learned about the changes to the starter in 1935. They made very few changes to these engines over the years.

They did make changes, for the most part mopar was really good about keeping things the same. If it works don't fix it.

They had several changes for the fluid drives, the overdrives or the automatics ... for a standard 218 3 spd floor shift you are probably good to go.

The trucks often used a Cleveland u-joint. While cars would use something different ... A 1951 suburban had u-joints with a leather boot wrapped around them ... just different.

You should be able to swap them and use the one you need. Another issue may be speedometer gear. You may want to hang on to the original and swap it in to the new trans if speedo is off.