headlight upgrade

Frank Blackstone

Is there a recomendation for an upgrade to the new technology for headlights of my P-15. I could not find any at the parts house that for sure were 7 1/4 inch diameter that for sure would be better.  $20 per light is a lot to gamble for a test of improvement.

$20 per light?  I spend over $250 to convert my 51 to GE Nighthawk LED headlamps.  But those are 12v units and not some sketchy Ebay/Amazon low buck setups.

I have no idea if there is a quality 6v setup, but if you are 12v or are thinking about going 12v then the lights I am running are real nice.

image.jpeg.f4c0c6b8a41edb041bbd0b3bde7dfee5.jpegAdded a 6 volt headlight relay (the bigger one in the red circle) and halogen 6 volt headlight bulbs . Relay is NOS P&D brand for 2 light high and low beam sourced from eBay for $30 something bucks . The headlight bulbs from NAPA . They work very well and I do drive at night too.  Note : little relay above it is for the brake lights. Pic is from winter rewire job . Has since been wrapped up in harness tape

The flicker is caused by the regulator clicking on and off.  Not much you can do about that other than try to adjust it a bit more closely.  I have the same issue with my 65 Cuda and I am running halogens on that.  The solution for the Cuda would be to run an electronic version of the regulator, but I am too cheap to buy on until the old one packs it up. 

You know, I seem to remember someone posting about a company that converts our old style regulators to electronic control? 

Get a copy of the service manual and follow the procedure in it, it's not just a matter of one simple adjustment.

The manual is readily available in book and electronic format, Rockauto, for example, sells them.

You might look in the tech files here and see if the procedure is there.

Depends on what is controlling the alternator, my 65 Cuda has an alternator but the mechanical regulator is the culprit with it.  I have zero experience with one wire, or self regulating, alternators so I dunno.  I suspect that would not be an issue with those, but again I have no experience.