Ass'y questions for MAW4025 '48 DeSoto Starter

ratbailey

Hey All,

Several questions. 

In the pic, there are two ways the yoke shoes (don't know the correct term for these things) can be oriented to engage the clutch collar. I'm guessing that the way I have them in the pic is correct...what say you? I have it so the step is toward the gear on the clutch, and the convex rounded part pointing toward the back of the starter. There appears to be a lot more wear in the step than on the rounded part, so this would make sense to me.

20210920_082055

One day I'll learn how to anticipate stuff like this, and take better notes during disassembly ?

Next, at what point is the clutch gear dogmeat, and ready for replacement? Here's a pic: 

20210920_082119

Teeth are pretty sharp and worn, but it was working fine. Is there any danger to the flywheel (which is already missing a tooth) in continuing to use this?

Also, I vaguely remember reading that the bendix starter drive was improved in the early 50s, and replaces the earlier ones, but I can't find where I read this. Am I making this up? 

Last, it seems like it'd be a good idea to lube the spline on the armature, the clutch collar, and also the plunger in the big, square solenoid. What's the recommended flavor of grease for this? 

Thanks,

Art

Edited by ratbailey

13 hours ago, ratbailey said:

There appears to be a lot more wear in the step than on the rounded part, so this would make sense to me.

Your solenoid plunger is not adjust correctly.

. Is there any danger to the flywheel (which is already missing a tooth) in continuing to use this?

Nope. File them and again adjust solenoid plunger  

the bendix starter drive was improved in the early 50s

This is not a Bendix starter

lube the spline on the armature, the clutch collar, and also the plunger in the big, square solenoid

Book doesn't say but very thin oil 

1 hour ago, chrysler1941 said:

Your solenoid plunger is not adjust correctly.

\

Nope. File them and again adjust solenoid plunger  

This is not a Bendix starter

Book doesn't say but very thin oil 

Thanks for your reply. I found the description for adjusting the solenoid plunger in my manual. As far as filing the gear, what part of the gear exactly should I be filing, and to what kind of a shape or profile? 

As far as the two shoes in the yoke, they look like this:

20210920_13452720210920_134457

It would seem that the clutch would wear out before these, they look hardened. In any case, they're worn in a specific way. My question was, is the greater wear from driving and holding the gear in the flywheel during starting, or from the opposite side of the clutch, when the gear is being retracted? And, should I try to figure out how they were oriented when I took them out, or can I flip them around? Finally, should I simply be trying to find a replacement for this part?

Thanks
Art

Edited by ratbailey

1 hour ago, chrysler1941 said:

I see they are worn. If it was me, I would flip them and put back. If you're not pleased after adjustment, then swap them.

Yeah, I think I'll do that. I'm going to assume the heavier wear was caused by pushing the gear into the flywheel, and flip that to the back. Thanks!

It was driving me nuts not knowing which way was the right way to place the yoke shoes. From Militarytrader.org: 

Also, if the yoke lever has little shoes that ride between the flanges of the clutch drive, the curved sides of the shoes face the engine’s flywheel. 

I almost broke google trying to find this one piece of information.

Both shoes have a pronounced convex belly on one side, so I'm pretty sure that's what the author is referring to when describing "the curved sides of the shoes." 

So, opposite of what I thought. Here's a link to the article with a lot of good info on these Autolite starters, and starters in general:  https://www.militarytrader.com/mv-101/starting-something

Edited by ratbailey