Parts haul

Doug&Deb

I scored a great deal on an engine and trans for the Coronet. The engine is seized but I’m planning on rebuilding it anyway. I’m 59 so I guess I should learn how to do it. Eventually I’m getting the rear axle from this car also. Plus I made a new friend in the hobby and that’s what it’s all about.

• Like 3

My spare parts collection is growing pretty big. I keep putting stuff up in the attic. I was wondering other day, should I pay mind a little about all the weight up there? Lol. 

Edited by keithb7

22 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

My spare parts collection is growing pretty big. I keep putting stuff up in the attic. I wondering other day, should pay mind a little about all the weight up there. Lol. 

Lol, I was watching Von Ryan's Express yesterday and they ere hiding dirt from their escape tunnels in the attic, I thought the same thing you are thinking with your parts.

Years ago, someone was giving away free skids, a sort of pallet with a solid wood top.  I got about 30 of them and floored the attic above my garage with the tops of the skids.  So I have room for stuff up there.

35 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Lol, I was watching Von Ryan's Express yesterday and they ere hiding dirt from their escape tunnels in the attic, I thought the same thing you are thinking with your parts.

Years ago, someone was giving away free skids, a sort of pallet with a solid wood top.  I got about 30 of them and floored the attic above my garage with the tops of the skids.  So I have room for stuff up there.

Face it,all old-car freaks are pack rats. We pretty much have to be,and it can eventually grow to the point where you can wonder if you are buying parts for your car,or buying cars to justify buying some of the parts you bought.

Not ME,of course. I am totally immune to that sort of thing.

Honest.

Would I lie to you,a good friend of mine who may just possibly have some parts I might need?

Speaking of parts hoarding. 

Anyone know if 1938 Desoto sedan leaf springs are heavier, wider than same year Dodge sedan? I estimate these Desoto are beefier? As it has a larger engine and slightly longer body & wheel base.  Side by side comparison seen here. 

F2B7D976-45E3-4682-88FB-E4EEF7674FD4.jpeg

My latest parts haul, I tore all the stuff apart. Ripped out the good spares that figure I can use.  This pic is just the leftovers going to the scrap recycler this week. 

Tons of little giblets.

1 head temperature probe glad nut is $40 just for shipping to here get here.  I got two this past haul!  

How about you have a leaky end-cover for a steering box? The one with the hole thru it for  the horn wire. Two in this stash!

Not to mention I scavenged gobs brake parts. Special hardware. Eccentric brake shoe adjust bolts. Brake line distribution blocks. I think I officially have 12 spare brake drums. Why would I ever upgrade to disc? Lol. 

Got an axle where a previous owner stripped threads at the nut? Threads not looking so great? 4 spare axles in my attic!

All the piddly stuff that’ll drive ya nuts and keep the Fed-Ex executives in their $1000 a bottle scotch habit... Spare worm gear and sector shaft and much more. 

See how exciting this all is? Spare parts that nobody wants around this town. Just me. Lol. 

A Mopar geek that probably needs counseling, might acquire two of the exact same year cars. To maximize on spare part interchangeability. Maybe. Just sayin’. 

D09161ED-48EF-48E4-9AAE-D66DBE2E690F.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

Chances are the DeSoto springs are the same springs used by the smaller Chrysler cars.

11 hours ago, keithb7 said:

My spare parts collection is growing pretty big. I keep putting stuff up in the attic. I was wondering other day, should I pay mind a little about all the weight up there? Lol. 

I'll take your left overs. Not many parts for these old American cars in England.?

On 9/19/2021 at 6:32 PM, keithb7 said:

Keep putting things in the attic and they will eventually find a rapid and noisy way to move themselves into the basement.

• Like 2