Sloppy Steering

Nomad50

I have about 5 inches of free play in the steering wheel on my 1947 Desoto. I took two shims out and the adjustment screw is tightened almost to the limit on the steering box. The rest of the steering components have been replaced. Can I take more shims out or is it that the gears are worn too badly. Can I get replacment  gears any where. Thanks for any input.

I am not 100%!sure what type of steering box your 47 Desoto has.  If like my earlier Mopars:

You add more shims at the end cover to tighten it up. That’s for end play. Tugging up and down at your steering wheel you may feel this end play. 

Sector gear may need adjustment to take up slop. Turning side to side. 

Here’s a worm gear & sector gear set up. Sector gear on left. It can be pulled in and pushed out off center of the worm gear to take up slack.  You access a set screw on the side cover of the steering gear box. Loosen lock nut. Clockwise or counterclockwise  to adjust off center line of worm gear. 

The worm gear is pressed onto the end of your steer wheel column shaft. 

870BDB87-2EDC-4D47-AD7F-8956A5FB4560.jpeg

• Like 1

Here is what the gears look like. The adjustment screw is already turned down to the point that the lock nut barely threads. You're saying I should add shims to the bottom plate of the steering box? Willl this take some of the free play out of the steering wheel? 

geer.jpg

geer2.jpg

Wonder if you are so far out of adjustment, if you could add some shims as seen here in this 1937 Sector Shaft? Turn your screw back out to reset your adjustment range. Assemble with shims on sector shaft.  Then start adjusting again.  Get it to the right spot. Seems to me there would have to be a lot of gear set wear if this worked.  Just a guess. 

Sorry, a bit of a mix up I think I said with the shims at the end cover. Yes, I believe you take them out to tighten up end play on the worm gear on the steering shaft. 

4379CBF7-E3BC-49F6-A342-BF4B5C9426D7.jpeg

The worm gear is designed to be tight when straight ahead and have more clearance when you turn. The process to adjust the Gemmer Steering Boxes is a step by step process that MUST be followed exactly as planned or you will get a junk adjustment or destroy the worm and sector gear.

Go over to the Chrysler Imperial Website and print off the two booklets on exactly how to rebuild a steering box. If the work or sector gear is junk then there is nothing you can do but source new ones. It will never steer correct with a worm or sector that is beyond adjustment.

The hourglass nature of the worm gear is DESIGNED to allow for adjustment for wear. Usually what happens is someone who does not understand exactly how it works does an improper adjustment and destroys the parts.

James

Edited by James_Douglas
  • Thanks 1

Does any one sell a remained gear box or a kit to rebuild one of these?  I have tried the upper screw and star wa s her but to no good result.  Have about 3.5 inches of play.  It 8s work trying to keep a straight course.  I bet the Mayflowered answered the helm than Kate does.  Bad shoulders make all the movement very fatiguing.

There is a business in Nixa, MO (near Springfield) that says they rebuild both power and manual steering boxes.  No idea of the cost.

One of this company's names is "High Impact Metrics", 607 W Kathryn St, Nixa, MO 65714 Phone (417) 374-7627......this place deals with manual

boxes.    The other name for the business (that also works on power steering units) is:  PowerSteering.com......same address, etc.   Springfield is

in southwest Missouri.  Might give them a call.