Uni-syn

47 dodge 1.5 ton

Yes— google shows spelling as “syn”, that’s why I went with it. I know many have said they are not necessary, my factory linkage is worn so I’m going to see if I can synchronize the carbs a little better for now until I hunt down the linkage. So far, rods I just purchased from Jeg’s will not be sufficient.

if you have multi carbs  you need to sync...some say not needed.....(physics must not apply on their planet) some guess...some go by the hiss tube method....but a true balance will need a measured flow value...one such guy swore his set up does not get any better till I used the uni-sync.  He thought his engine ran good till he drove his car after I did the balance.  The uni-sync tool is very handy cost effective device to own.  Often an adapter may be need depending on the carb opening size and shape and if or if not you have a air cleaner mount stem sticking out of it...I just made an adapter for the SU H4's I will balance likely this weekend.  Just an item made by myself to show it is not difficult.....buying an adapter it is often difficult to locate one...so you created to meet your needs. (spider sold separately)

the H4's have a filter mount post sticking up about 3.5 inches...

IMG_4359.JPG

IMG_4360.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Thanks 1

I used to spend quite a bit of time synchronizing triple carbs on a Datsun, and I found the best tool for the job was this style. 

It doesn't restrict the airflow to the carburetor to measure the flow(that can cause issues too), and it gives you a number value to match between your carbs. You can also adjust the sensitivity to measure off idle sync which can be more important (and more often affected by a worn linkage).

81576CCE-6B4B-412F-B86B-63BDD455AC2F.jpeg

I found one of those in my fathers tool box from his Porsche days, I believe they had velocity stacks sitting  on them. Pretty sure he hasn’t used it in 50 years, maybe I can make an adapter out of a rubber/styrofoam cone and see if it still works? I thought they really could only be used at a set rpm(I have no tack) unless maybe have two calibrated to each other for checking sensitivity while throttled up and down?

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

RCrombie....I always pictured that style sync tools as needing velocity stacks to put it in use...on a carb with a choke blade etc...air horn post for filter....would render it unusable...

The one I purchased had a couple different rubber ends you could use, but you’re right that if the throat of the carb isn’t round or if you have something projecting up into the airflow then you may need an adapter to get it to seal.

velocity stacks aren’t necessary though.

They work well as long as you can hold a steady RPM. With the Weber’s, you would tune them at idle when the linkage was slack, then at a steady rpm when the linkage was slightly taught. 

If you already have on of these synchrometers in your toolbox, give it a try. If it doesn’t work, you’re not out anything.

Cheers

Rob