Drive train swap

Waldo

Had to ask if anyone has done a drive train swap with another 4 wheel drive truck, like take my 50 Dodge 3/4 ton pick up and use a Dodge power train from a newer year truck. My truck needs a complete drive train over haul, and thought I could just swap everything out to something newer. Just a idea, or if anyone has a nice running flat head 216 I would go for that.

Full size truck drivetrain swaps will be too wide for the body.  Check out ggdad's TODD build for an example of what might need to be done.  A 4wd Dakota might be an option.  2wd swaps have been done by several members.  Any of those options are not quick, easy or cheap.  A rebuild of what you have now may be the fastest and least expensive.   If you think you might want to replace the current engine, place an ad in the classified section to see what might be out there.

You can put a small block in the current frame, with new mounts. I've toyed with the idea. It can cost around $4000 to rebuild the flathead. Buying a 318-360, the tranny and rebuilding it was thousands less.

You need to add up what you would pay for each and decide for yourself which is the better choice. You will never have the power with the flathead, but you will never have the cool once you change it.

Hard choice, at least for me.

• Like 1

Motor,transmission and rear diff all changed out in mine. 2 wd. 

4wd s-10 or dakota would be a better fit than a full size. Body swap is the way to go. Lots of work. 

i figure 100 hours into fitting the 360/727 into my 1/2 ton. 

• Like 1