New here - just got 1946 WC

Solga

Keithb7 ... it sure is !! ? Just wanted to keep you informed, and up to date.  It was a nice little trip, and definitely worth the conversation.  Plus getting free parts is always great ! 

lostviking & LazyK ... Thank you guys for the information ! I will soak up as much as I can possibly get. 

I honestly do not know what is correct for this truck.  If you look at the under hood picture earlier in this post, it shows the coil mounted in the same spot as the one on the trailer.  BUT, it also shows some kind of mount on the firewall that looks like it was for a coil at some point in time, only it does not go through the firewall.  So your guess is as good as mine on what is actually period correct.  Me personally, although I am keeping the flathead in my truck, I am not a die hard purist that has to have everything perfect.  I will be upgrading the dizzy to a HEI from Langdon anyway, so the coil looks and location is not that big of a deal. 

Adam S.

13 hours ago, Solga said:

Keithb7 ... it sure is !! ? Just wanted to keep you informed, and up to date.  It was a nice little trip, and definitely worth the conversation.  Plus getting free parts is always great ! 

lostviking & LazyK ... Thank you guys for the information ! I will soak up as much as I can possibly get. 

I honestly do not know what is correct for this truck.  If you look at the under hood picture earlier in this post, it shows the coil mounted in the same spot as the one on the trailer.  BUT, it also shows some kind of mount on the firewall that looks like it was for a coil at some point in time, only it does not go through the firewall.  So your guess is as good as mine on what is actually period correct.  Me personally, although I am keeping the flathead in my truck, I am not a die hard purist that has to have everything perfect.  I will be upgrading the dizzy to a HEI from Langdon anyway, so the coil looks and location is not that big of a deal. 

Adam S.

Neither am I. I just swapped in disk brakes on the front and a Jeep rear axle. I've also got a dual 1 barrel intake that I'll install eventually. Right now I'm still finishing the brake and rear end install.

Mine is a 46, so I'm guessing period correct is the firewall mounted ignition locked coil. I can see no reason that it would work any better than what you have. If the truck is already set up that way, no reason to change.

One thing you should do is get both a service manual and a parts manual. I got both of mine from RockAuto. Just the exploded views in the parts book are invaluable.

Enjoy your truck and make it your own. Getting a good running motor, and it looks like the transmission too, is a good thing. Rebuilding one can be upwards of $4000. Plus, you most likely need to pay to ship it somewhere. For some reason, every city doesn't have someone doing this. Boggles the mind.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It took a few, but I finally got the truck home today.  

We got it running, and I actually pulled it up onto the trailer under it's own power !! I was stoked, all the way up until I went to push in on the brake and the pedal went straight to the floor !! Thankfully we got it stopped in time, and all strapped in.  On the way home, I stopped by a self serve carwash and gave it a quick rinse to get 5 years of barn dirt off of it.  

By the time I got it home, it was too dark to take pictures, so I can get some tomorrow, if anyone cares to see them.  

I did get a flashlight out though, and I was super surprised to see that besides the cobwebs and spiders, the underside of this truck looks just as good as the body ! Not perfect by no means, but nice enough that I can't possibly see changing much on this 75 year old survivor !! It's nice enough that I almost don't want to drive it, and I most definitely will NOT be driving this after the first snow fall, and will wait untill all the salt is gone in the spring before I get it back out ! 

Just figured I would give you all an update.

Adam

Edited by Solga
Spelling
  • Like 1

I tried to attach some pictures, but they are all evidently too big of a file to attach.  As soon as I get a chance to download an app on my phone, I'll get them resized, and attach some pics for you all ! 

Ok, finally got some pictures resized.  As you can see, someone definitely did a number on wiring. I have found a couple areas that need some attention, but overall not bad condition for a 75 year old ! 

Adam

PXL_20211108_151043939_copy_3427x2570.jpg

PXL_20211108_155140341_copy_3427x2570.jpg

PXL_20211108_155346982_copy_3427x2570.jpg

PXL_20211108_151118249_copy_3427x2570.jpg

PXL_20211108_151033078_copy_3427x2570.jpg

PXL_20211108_150919704_copy_3427x2570.jpg

PXL_20211108_150910857_copy_3427x2570.jpg

PXL_20211108_150906548_copy_3427x2570.jpg

Edited by Solga
Spaces for better viewing pictures
  • Like 1

Doesn't look like your typical midwestern truck.? That's a good thing, real nice

The underside looks very clean. From the underside of the bed wood to the paint condition on the underside of the frame it has likely been freshened up and not used much since or taken really good care of. Also looks dry around the rear seal of the trans so your either good there or your out of oil.? If your real lucky someone may have already upgraded the rearend gearing.

• Like 1

With the brakes being out, and the brake pedal going completely to the floor, I haven't driven it very much.  Pretty much, just up onto the trailer, and then back off of the trailer and into the garage.  With such limited driving, I really couldn't tell you what kind of gearing is in the rear end.  That would be nice if all of that has been taken care of though !  

I'll have to check the oil in the transmission, but I haven't noticed any whining or anything yet.  Again, limited drive time negates that a little.  Still, just easier to check it ahead of time, than to find out there is a problem later ! 

Other than the wiring and the brakes, the only other issue that I have yet to look up and figure out, it with the driver's door.  All of the seams line up great, and the hinges seem to be just fine, but the door is REALLY tight to shut or open.  And I don't even have the handle or latching mechanism in place in the door. The passenger door opens smooth with no binding. I'll probably make a new post on this later when I go to tackle the issue.

Adam

I have a minor update as to the condition of the truck. 

After having it in an actual garage, with concrete floors instead of dirt, I have noticed a couple leaks underneath.  One under the rear oil pan area, and one under the transmission area. 

Since I don't have any brakes, I haven't actually moved it, but I have started the truck a few different times.  Brought it up to operating temps before shutting it down, mostly just to show a few people my new "toy".  

Looks like I have a bit more work ahead of me, than I originally thought.  I'll have to toss come carpet pieces and cardboard under it, when I go down to hook up the battery tender. 

Adam

• 2 weeks later...