Head and head gasket

Mertz

I was cleaning up the inside of the head to remove any carbon. On number 6 I noticed a small hole which I prodded with a sharp point and believe it is blind. What is this hole for and is it blind?

Last time I rebuilt a 283 I deburing the intake and exhaust ports. The heads on mine are rough. Would I benefit from deburing them?

i have a top end gasket set I bought years ago at a swap meet. Turns out it is for the longer block and I can’t use it. The engine I’m putting in is an industrial engine and has been bored 40 over. NAPA doesn’t have the gaskets. Can I reuse the copper felpro head gasket used on the rebuild? Do I need a different gasket due to the over bore?

Look closely at the head topside.  There should be a pipe plug screwed into the hole.  This gives access for a tool to ascertain TDC for cylinder six.  Since 1 and 6 travel together, when 6 is at TDC, so is one.  This allows you to set static timing when you determine 1 is oncompression. ( 6 IS TDC  exhaust) ypo can also insert a long wire to measure an unknown blocks stroke.

Now that you explained it, I remember now reading that somewhere. I also wondered what the plug was for. There is also a brass fitting on top. 

On 9/15/2021 at 3:50 PM, Mertz said:

i have a top end gasket set I bought years ago at a swap meet. Turns out it is for the longer block and I can’t use it. The engine I’m putting in is an industrial engine and has been bored 40 over. NAPA doesn’t have the gaskets. Can I reuse the copper felpro head gasket used on the rebuild? Do I need a different gasket due to the over bore?

I have reused head gaskets on motorcycles in the past.

Not on flat heads because this is my first build, but always on the bikes, 

you would apply a nice coat of Copper Coat Gasket Spray before assembly with a re-used gasket.

Never had any problems going that route.

I found a good source for the upper end gasket set at advanced auto for $38 so I will get a new gasket and use copper coat. I was concerned about the overbore and gasket matching but it looks like the gaskets are around 3.3 which is larger than stock bore by a bit so my 40 over should still be smaller than the gasket opening. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 3:57 PM, greg g said:

Look closely at the head topside.  There should be a pipe plug screwed into the hole.  This gives access for a tool to ascertain TDC for cylinder six.  Since 1 and 6 travel together, when 6 is at TDC, so is one.  This allows you to set static timing when you determine 1 is oncompression. ( 6 IS TDC  exhaust) ypo can also insert a long wire to measure an unknown blocks stroke.

What is the proper fitting for the 'timing hole'

20211003_120849_1600x1200.jpg.6bcd99a302b0514fe672caba6ebcfe90.jpg

1978837718_Screenshot2021-10-03134957.jpg.913e64cafd93416d05c82499aa40ca8f.jpg

It is referenced several times in the parts book under 143-932, but no real good description.

Getting ready to paint the engine, want the plug in and correct before paint.

38 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

1/8” NPT pipe plug 

Thanks, that is what I thought, external, square or hex head?

Well, how right you are, not sure why, when I searched the parts manual, it skipped right over that page?

89336723_Screenshot2021-10-04101900.jpg.fa5efc18cd8caa95668dcb0a704ea4d3.jpg

Every other usage of the part number kept popping up, just tried again, skips right over that page.

Thanks.