Manifold studs

LMBoise

I buy those studs at The local hardware and auto parts stores in all different sizes...always have...fast and easy.

I tried cutting a grade 8 bolt to length and could not get the die to grip. It seems that above the threads, the bolt is to thick to thread. How,did you get the die started?

The local auto part store does not carry anything long enough for the two studs that go through the thickest part of the manifold. 

Thanks. 

15 hours ago, LMBoise said:

I tried cutting a grade 8 bolt to length and could not get the die to grip. It seems that above the threads, the bolt is to thick to thread. How,did you get the die started?

The local auto part store does not carry anything long enough for the two studs that go through the thickest part of the manifold. 

Thanks. 

First of all, I don't use grade 8 for lightly loaded bolts, and Manifolds fit that description.  8 is too hard to thread easily by hand.  Then be sure to use good quality dies that have a pronounced starting taper on one side.  I like to put the 'stud in the making' in my drill press chuck and the die in a vice bolted to the table.  Using hex shaped dies helps with that.  That makes starting square  much easier.  Once started, I place two nuts, jammed together on the stud and clamp in a bench vise to complete the threading.