Only in America......

Plymouthy Adams

few more gains but will have to cut it off here with the swap meet just around the corner and company on the way......these dog bone stabilizers are not found on the average car....only a single lower bone with the automatic tranny cars.....floor pans are very solid...the tunnel will get a bit of attention before the exhaust goes into place....

IMG_4461.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

thanks Los, while not a Plymouth....just the same a lot of work goes into any and all of them....I put off starting the engine in the car and instead mowed the east and west orchard and the front lawn....that is about 4.0 hours of steady mowing on a zero turn...grass still a very pretty green once I mulched the leaves....

thanks for the question, the answer is neither....the choke operate on pulling the fuel jets away from the needles thus enrichening the mix....SU carbs are very simple but also very efficient carbs...you get a chance to mess with them or have a minute to read up on them...you would like the design I am sure.

How is the little red car coming along?

My '64 MG had those carbs. I though they had ticklers.

It was 50 years ago, and I can't recall exactly, except they were sidedraft SU carbs with slide valves.

My car is on hold while I help my kid. I'll be back on it tomorrow.

It's 3/4 wired, but no tail lights or seats yet.

Rear fenders still need more fitting.

Edited by Ulu

while not ticklers in line with an Amal carb this may be your reference to pushing an item on the carb....the SU have a built in push up pin that lifts the slide...this is used when tuning to ensure the idle mixture is correct as this slight lift will alter the RPM slightly if RPM goes up or down you adjust the base line setting of the jet accordingly.  

• 2 weeks later...

Good job done on that vehicle. I remember when most of the cars on our roads down here were similar sized. Through the sixties and early seventies. We had the legacy of import restrictions from the Second World War days that meant most of our vehicles either came from Britain, Australia or were reassembled in local plants that originated from the "home" country. Post war Britain and the austerity that existed for many years saw the production of small, spartan vehicles that were affordable for families. My uncle bought a new Morris 1100 - similar to your Austin  - that had Mum and Dad in the bucket seats in the front and three kids and a dog in the back. Plus enough luggage in the small trunk that could see them holiday for a fortnight. Our needs were simpler then.......

you know these were touted for having more interior room than the RR of the same period.  These are contrary to what some people think when they see them very roomy inside.  While comfort for 4 adults is ideal with fold down rear center arm rest...when up, you can seat 3 slender adults in the back seat, kids...stack them like cord wood.  Under the rear seat there is some room for personal belongings also.   I will continue the shake down of the little car and next on the list is the refresh of the brakes.  Oh I have a good pedal and good brakes now...flex lines an issue, one releases slowly after about 20 minutes of driving and numerous brake applications.  Car sat for quite a bit of time as I understand it before I got it this spring less drive train and went through the process of retrofitting the 1985 drivetrain I had been sitting on for 12+ years.  After this, I will get back onto my Morris LCV van that was imported here from New Zealand and try to get it finished up.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

exhaust is now on....custom setup and bent to my specs...this shop will work to your exact standards and actually welcomes you into the work bay.  Unheard of these days on the average.  Johnny did a great job and the system is designed for future service also.   Notice the Bear River flex joint.  Tip, Jaguar style..!  I had premade all the hangers utilizing factory holes and such and added a center hanger using longer seat blet bolts to affix.  These were within 1/16 inch of each other front to rear...

KIMG0016.JPG

IMG_4486.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 5:31 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

Austin America that is.....not a Mopar still just as fun.  Test cradle I now have fabricated and rigged....fabricated the cold air and filter set up today allowing me to finalized the common air box for the twin H4 carbs and got it matching paint to engine.  Been a process but been fun for the most part.......upper rad hose still not been put on nor the oil line connected to the console.  But we getting ever so close.....

IMG_4376.JPG

Transversely mounted straight four with SU carbs, Mini Cooper?

EDIT, oops, just scrolled up and got my answer!

Edited by billrigsby

The Mini is indeed the more popular car for this upgrade and the reason I have this body.  The prior owner bought this car for the engine to put into his Mini....I bought the body as I had been sitting some 12+ years on this MG Metro high performance engine and decided to tweak it out with twinH4, header, cold air induction and few other personal tweaks.  This I refer to as a nonsense car, it does not have to make any sense to anyone but the builder, it has been a very fun little package to put together.  The little engine has some good features on its own merit from the factory, 10.5 compression, large valve head, 266 duration cam improved timing chain, 3.44 gears, upgraded shifter.