Only in America......

Plymouthy Adams

Austin America that is.....not a Mopar still just as fun.  Test cradle I now have fabricated and rigged....fabricated the cold air and filter set up today allowing me to finalized the common air box for the twin H4 carbs and got it matching paint to engine.  Been a process but been fun for the most part.......upper rad hose still not been put on nor the oil line connected to the console.  But we getting ever so close.....

IMG_4376.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Is that the 1298cc?

I built up a 1298 long block In my mom’s dining room. Of course all the parts were surgically clean and it was the cleanest place that I could build the engine.

But when she came in and saw pistons and rods laid out on the kitchen table she was not amused.

• Like 1

lotta folks rather go with the Mini....I have always liked them but never aspired to own one.  I just left a guy's house and touring his shop again of the various small and older Brit, French and Ital cars.  He just made a deal on a classic Mini....always fun looking at folks collections of stuff and talking shop and kicking tires.  I like the slightly larger ADO16 over the Mini ADO15 design.....something for everybody...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

I never got to drive it...but I rode in a race prepared Mini back about 1987.....that thing was scary fast....

slowed down on my install...other things needed attention and a couple small issues to clear up that requires a couple parts be ordered in and needs be done before the oil and filter change....shifter seal is weeping a bit.  

7 hours ago, Ulu said:

Is that the 1298cc?

I built up a 1298 long block In my mom’s dining room. Of course all the parts were surgically clean and it was the cleanest place that I could build the engine.

But when she came in and saw pistons and rods laid out on the kitchen table she was not amused.

10 minutes earlier she'd of seen them coming out of the dishwasher, lol.

• Haha 1

that is about right it sounds....28cc increase over 4 cylinders at .060 (1.4 CI)  still under 80 cubes...stock was 77.8 cubes  standard overbore sizes does little in itself for increase in CID and why I am always amazed folks go to the max OS bore on a build for what they think will be way more oomph....it is a waste of good metal that would otherwise sustain the life of the block for couple more rebuilds...

Is that standard color for Austin America? My 1098 bug eye motor is the green color.  Looks like the stuff the bus driver put down when somebody tossed cookies on the school bus.  Looks sharp! What are you thinking 70 horses?

Edited by greg g

the base line engine for this year in MG HP dress HLE is 72 HP with single carb....am thinking with the improvement in induction, exhaust and ignition I will be closer to 80...some say higher but I am respectfully conservative....base on the stock 70 1275 for the America....I am about 33% increase in HP...color is not stock even for the '85 as it was a red, I chose cranberry for my choice as it will match the car color...

back in older days yes that Mowog green was predominant....some engines got black and few later smaller displacements engines were yellow.....I am not stock so I could care less if the engine color is stock...the original engine was green and black....but I do not have that engine here....

just had to shut the shop doors....was welding a bit on a bracket for this car.....tomorrow is another day.  

do you have those velocity stacks on yours....they nice look to any of these small engines with twin SU's  that is 1098 or smaller engine based on the head and also a bit early with the smooth case tranny....these little engines for those not familiar with them are quite impressive little beasts and easy to work on. 

MOWOG  of legend is a minor God that must be appeased with various expensive potions, hard to find alchemistic trinkets,  small bits of glass wire and foil, herbal poultices under the seats, and whizzardly  wardings and ruins against atmospheric moisture, to keep the insides inside and to confine the smoke, and to keep aire in the tyres 

• Haha 1

I have the stacks mounted but will be putting a pair of off set filters. 1098 yes , ribcage trans, carbs have been ministered to by a SUoligist back in 63.  Car was run on the road for three years, then turned into a hill climber through the 70s, then auto crossed and gymkana till the 90s then in the shed since.

20210919_124300.jpg

20210919_124340.jpg

Edited by greg g

Recently put the lights and wind shield on looking for wiper stancions, passenger seat frame. Top frame, mechanical tach, and a few other bits.  I have a rear view matter from a 356 porche that's probably as expensive as the car.  Talked to a fellow on Thursday.  His girlfriend wants one to go along with his RHD mini Cooper. S. So it may be going to a better place.  I can get in but out, not so much.  Maybe it will fund a z3 or an alfa roadster.

last time I saw a bugeye.....yesterday.....lol   but I do get around to a few Brit car owners now and then.  They a different looking and very popular/desirable body style....you should do more with it and get that puppy out to marks it territory a bit....that have that 'happy' look built right into the body lines.  

our thread entrees passed in cyber space.....I well understand the need to pass it on if getting in and out of it a problem.  The Porsche I drive a bit is not yet that much for me to get in and out of but then I a few years younger and well, my day is likely coming...!!!

5 minutes ago, greg g said:

Be cranking mine in a couple days I hope.  Fooling with the Studebaker to use for Halloween yard art.

good deal....best of luck....I need to roll the '51 hearse out for Halloween.....that, mound of dirt...tarp with a paint black hole and the casket on a set of cross boards and lowering ropes...few chairs set to one side.....

UPDATE .....I can now tell you WHAT NOT TO DO..... do not use a vacuum gauge from a defective hand held pump should you have one on hand.....they ARE NOT dampened....the reading will indicate you have a blown head gasket all cylinders, OR all your valve springs are broken OR...you can shove the neighbors cat between the valve stem and the guides......personally knowing that none of these applied to my engine.....swapped for my stand alone gauge...rock steady reading.....and yes the hand held gauge will read steady with mouth vacuum.....just a FYI it is too sensitive...

On 9/18/2021 at 4:10 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

I only got to drive an original Mini one time on an autocross circuit.  Back in the early 70’s.  As the old song says, “ Fun fun fun til Daddy takes the Mini away”

I cannot attest to the song, however Mike Tyson said everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth……..back in 1979 my Uncle Norm let me drive his small block Cobra for a 300 mile leg of a Cancer run……man was I stoked……lol, after 75 miles I was beggin’ him for mercy and he released me from my obligation!

The pass seat was no dream either…….you guy can have that sporty stuff.

• Like 1

you can have sport and comfort.....you can have flashy lines or an eloquent box...I suspect the only real physical malady I may suffer is the pain from stretching my face with a big grin as I drive this puppy...

tweaking now.....in for a coffee and a percolation test......I tweaked the carbs on rebuild but only a smidge...I will more than not tweak them a tad lower yet....

The test and tune will be spread out to ensure as best possible all is well before installing in the car.  

• Like 2