I am I said...

Plymouthy Adams

1 hour ago, DonaldSmith said:

We have found, that when we find something, it's in the last place we look, and it's right where we left it.  Go figure. 

well you could get the idea as this is not where I left it and that if I keep looking maybe I will get lucky and find a second one....!!  not recommended but the theory is correct...

the one that kills me is holding onto an item that shows potential use for a project.  One day sorting things you chunk this item....the following week a project comes up where this discarded item would have been the cat's meow to make the fix.   On building the engine test stand I recently pictured, the cross supports was a pair of predrilled fabricated 1/4 x 2" angle iron section I have had in my possession some 30 years....finally put them to good use.  Somewhere down the line you can use this stuff....if you have a means to store it and know where it is stored when needed.  Space is often the single reason many do not or cannot keep items on hand for eventual use.   

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

19 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

And how many of us have given up and bought another of what we lost only to find it shortly after?

My dad always told me that if you cannot find where you put it, it is the same as not having it......and yes, if the item is available and inexpensive...just buy one and be done....and yes...it does seem to appear shortly thereafter.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the one that kills me is holding onto an item that shows potential use for a project.  One day sorting things you chunk this item....the following week a project comes up where this discarded item would have been the cat's meow to make the fix.   On building the engine test stand I recently pictured, the cross supports was a pair of predrilled fabricated 1/4 x 2" angle iron section I have had in my possession some 30 years....finally put them to good use.  Somewhere down the line you can use this stuff....if you have a means to store it and know where it is stored when needed.  Space is often the single reason many do not or cannot keep items on hand for eventual use.   

It can also be a point of contention with one's wife.....  (I have an "ability" to see potential in nearly every odd bit that comes into my possession.  She was fine with it when we lived in the jungle, and that broken valve on the portable shower tank would have required a very expensive air plane flight to replace.  But I had enough odds & ends laying around that I was able to fix it.  One of the parts I used was part of a Bic pen, and another was a small plate from my daughter's toy box.  But we would not have called the plane in for that valve - it would have meant going back to bathing in the river for the next month or more. But now, living within walking distance of the hardware store, it's rather different.  But I still am inclined to keep everything I can find a corner to stuff it in.)

Yes last weekend working on converting my 64 belvedere to electronic ignition. Needed to solder 1 wire. Spent more time looking for the solder than it would have taken to drive to the store and get another roll. Was just about to do that when I found it in a random drawer of the toolbox.

Oh the agony! Drives me bonkers when I have a tool or part in my hand, lay it down when the phone rings. Or whatever. 5 mins later it has vanished. Spend 10 mins looking for it. I start questioning my cognitive skills. Am I loosing it? Then voila! It reappears. Right in places that I looked in my search. 

I swear there is vintage car owner ghost in my garage. Playing games with me. Maybe a previous owner is hanging out while I work on his old car.  He doesn’t like where I am going with a certain repair. So he hides my tools.  Then he laughs when the puts the tool back, in plain sight, in an easy to find location. I wish he’d do some maintenance while I am at work all day. 

Edited by keithb7

22 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

And how many of us have given up and bought another of what we lost only to find it shortly after?

I'll typically find the lost item when I decide to put the replacement item away "where I'll remember where it is". That's where I find the lost/misplaced item. ?

• Like 1

It’s gotten to the point that I have a complete-ish set of tools in various locations around the house; my garage, wife’s garage, basement. It hasn’t stopped me from loosing what I just had in my hand but I know where there is a duplicate.

As far a buying a replacement, a few years ago I was having an engine issue with my Ural and wanted to do a compression test. I went through every drawer in every tool box in the garage and no dice. Said screw it and picked up a new one at Garbage Freight. Finished the testing, all was good. Set the new gauge down on the bench to make a spot in the drawer and found that I had set the new gauge right next to my missing one on the bench.

I am beginning to see that I am not near alone with this...I do not think it is anywhere related to old age as much as it is to inability to match that last mental image in your mind of the item/tool to the immediate surrounding.....kinda like a bumble bee....when they leave the nest to forage...they fly up, make a circle and get a thermal image and off they go...if you move the nest 20 feet when they arrive back in the evening from forage...they circle about lost as Hogan's goat....they also know their nest should be right there and this triggers their protective mode and they get aggressive....this I have seen in person....I have gotten stung by them but only if I am in/about the nest.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

On 9/12/2021 at 10:18 AM, Kilgore47 said:

I buy extra wrenches and sockets from the pawn shop.  5, 10, 15 cents each.  That way when I can't find the one I just laid down I can go to the tool box and get another one.  Until the ones in the tool box are all gone

This is a good idea. I'm always missing the 3/16 wrench for that odd tiny retaining bolt.

Yup, and the one special tool you buy for one specific purpose. 5/16 square drive for adjusting torquefilte bands. Think i have 3 now. 2 of which are snap-on. Think i can find one? Nope. Not servicing transmission until i find one. Buy then i will have misplaced the filter and gasket. 

confession is good for the soul...which one of you sneaked into my shop and hid that big long round muffler I just had in my hands on a couple days ago....I am often my own worst enemy for laying things down and my mental picture is where it was previously stored for weeks on end....then I touch it....metal images no longer match.....aaarg....!

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

my mental picture is where it was previously stored for weeks on end....then I touch it....metal images no longer match.....aaarg....!

There is sooo much truth to that statement.

I was mowing the grass for my Uncle one day, had to start several vehicles move them off the lawn .... The key ring is huge and not something to stick in your pocket.

I swear I set them on a tool box, was a fair sized shop with 3 main roll away's, several smaller older boxes ... I looked for weeks. 2 years later they were found sitting on a window mount AC unit 15' from the front porch. Glad he had spare keys to everything.

well, you had the rectangular shape as correct image.....that deserves some amount of credit.....

I have looked the two main shops over good....all the bays in the barn, four vehicles....still not found.....I will let the forum know the minute I break my fool neck tripping over this thing....

20 hours ago, Los_Control said:

There is sooo much truth to that statement.

I was mowing the grass for my Uncle one day, had to start several vehicles move them off the lawn .... The key ring is huge and not something to stick in your pocket.

I swear I set them on a tool box, was a fair sized shop with 3 main roll away's, several smaller older boxes ... I looked for weeks. 2 years later they were found sitting on a window mount AC unit 15' from the front porch. Glad he had spare keys to everything.

I have a fresh "key story".  Two weeks ago I took my P12 and '64 'cuda to a small car show here in town.  I have two garages at home, and upon returning I decided to put the P12 where the 'cuda had been living.  Got the car covers back on, and could find the key to the P12 - anywhere.  I did have a spare, but wanted to get a "spare to the spare" ASAP.  Bought two NORS blanks on eBay, but they weren't right (can't blame the seller, I tried to match up their photo to my key).  during lunchtime Thursday I walked a mile to a 150 year old locksmith in Boston who still has blanks back to the '20 on their board.  Had two new copies cut - can't be too safe!  Took Friday off to work on the '66 Satellite.  The drawer with my drill stuff in it spilled to the floor.  Got on my hands and knees to pick the stuff up.  There, on top of a bin under my bench.....

Now I have four keys to the P12.IMG_1194.jpg.a8ad8ba56268cb80f89281737e6d8618.jpg

• Haha 2