49 P18 transmission problem

808P18

17 hours ago, 808P18 said:

Where is the clutch access panel? I have the service manual but it doesn’t show that area. Thanks for the replies. 

It is a cover that bolts to the bottom of the bellhousing. It may be called clutch cover or clutch cover pan in your manual.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, belvedere said:

Something doesn’t add up. If something failed in the flywheel/clutch area (which sounds likely), it still shouldn’t have jumped forward if the transmission was in neutral.

If the linkage or shift forks are messed up it probably wasn't in neutral.....may have been freewheeling in a gear until whatever it is popped and sent power to the rear end.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

Just my 2 cents.  Last year while working on my truck I thought would remove the steering wheel & removed the linkage on the column.

When I put it all back  together I found I had no reverse gear.

I then found when  I reached down and put both transmission arms in neutral , I could then shift using the shifter.

I then realized my shifting linkage adjustment is out of whack. I have the shift rods and there is adjusting nuts on them. The linkage rods are in mid air. Is it the bottom nut that needs to come up? Or is it the top nut that needs to come down? I will find out.

Just saying if your transmission jumped into gear, I would suspect bad linkage adjustment and start there.

20 hours ago, joecoozie said:

It is a cover that bolts to the bottom of the bellhousing. It may be called clutch cover or clutch cover pan in your manual.

Thank you!  I’ll pull this cover off and inspect when I get a chance, I don’t have a garage and have rain all weekend. 

20 hours ago, belvedere said:

Something doesn’t add up. If something failed in the flywheel/clutch area (which sounds likely), it still shouldn’t have jumped forward if the transmission was in neutral.

My thoughts exactly, two different issues also occurred the past two times trying to engage the transmission. The first time it would just rev and the other where it would clunk and lurch. I assumed that what ever kept the clutch from engaging failed and the very first issue felt like I “popped the clutch” 

The only adjustment I did was to the nut that adjusts 2nd and 3rd gears as it wasn’t able to shift into them when I bought it.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Just my 2 cents.  Last year while working on my truck I thought would remove the steering wheel & removed the linkage on the column.

When I put it all back  together I found I had no reverse gear.

I then found when  I reached down and put both transmission arms in neutral , I could then shift using the shifter.

I then realized my shifting linkage adjustment is out of whack. I have the shift rods and there is adjusting nuts on them. The linkage rods are in mid air. Is it the bottom nut that needs to come up? Or is it the top nut that needs to come down? I will find out.

Just saying if your transmission jumped into gear, I would suspect bad linkage adjustment and start there.

Thanks, I certainly did adjust the nut that allows the shifter to engage 2nd and 3rd. All linkage is in place under the car so that’s the great news. I’m hoping it’s an adjustment issue. Appreciate the feedback!