Fried Fuel Gauge

Kilgore47

Rewired the P15 last summer.  Finally got around to connecting the new gas tank sending unit yesterday.  The gauge did not work so I pulled it out and found that the coils are fried.  Just one more thing and all will be fine.  Always just one more thing.  But that's part of the fun about owning one of these old cars.  It's very satisfying being able to find what's wrong and then being able to fix it and drive away.  I found a couple gauges on line but you don't know if they work.  Talked to D&M restoration and they said they could fix it.  Also put an add in the classifieds here.  It would be nice to have a working gas gauge.

Next the speedometer -- it's stuck on 100.  Been using an app on my phone to tell how fast I'm going -- not 100!!

1947 P15 Fuel Gauge.jpg

I found a Desoto fuel gauge on line for 10 bucks.  It looks like the mechanism is the same but the backing plate is different.  I can switch that out with my old one.  The face plate on the Desoto gauge is purple and a different size.  I can switch that with my old one also.  Should be here next week.  For 10 bucks it's worth a try.  Total with shipping under 20 bucks.  Going to leave the classified add open until I get this to make sure it works.

More news latter 

1942  1948 Desoto fuel gauge.jpg

• Like 1

I found a gauge cluster from a Dodge on line.  It has all but the temp gauge.  Took the speedo apart to clean and lube and it works.  Switched the faces on both the speedo and fuel gauge to match the others in the P15 and installed them yesterday.  I'll take the car for a drive today to see if the speedo is accurate.  Check it with the GPS. 

I remember we used to have to find a highway with mile markers to check the speedo.  Then try to hold the car at a constant speed (before cruise control) for a few miles, do a quick calculation to see if it was accurate.  Now just hit the GPS button.

It's nice to have a full set of gauges.  Now I can take longer drives without stopping to check the engine temp with the hand held laser.