First 1000 miles

dcotant

So it has been about a year since Clementine went back on the road and last week I hit my first 1000 miles. I had replaced the speedometer ( had the grey face style from later models in there and I wanted the original black ). Since i disassembled to clean and check, I went ahead and set it to all zeros. Has been a pretty good 1000 miles (other than the mouse nest in the radiator debacle), several loads of wood hauled, many country roads like this one. So glad to be driving my old friend after about 20 years in storage.

1st1000.jpg

The Old Brass Knob

I have kept almost everything the same, or as close to it as I could on the old truck but the one thing that is different is the shift knob. This knob is a solid brass knob from an apartment complex i worked at in the 70's that was built around the same time as my truck was built. I like it for a number of reasons, like how you can feel the gears turning and that satisfying click when you drop in after a perfectly timed double clutch. But what I really like is how it polishes up from regular use. When it was a daily driver that knob always just shined. When I reinstalled the transmission, I thought about polishing it up to start with but ended up just deciding to let it polish under use. I want to get to the point of keeping it shiny and in that way know that I am spending enough time in the  truck. I put 150 miles on since I took this picture, hauling loads of oak for myself and friends, and it already is well on the way.

Sherman Terrace built around 1950, photo from 1978, the 54 Chevrolet is mine also.

ShermanTerrace.jpg

Edited by dcotant
added more info
  • Like 8

glad  it is going well....it is a rather nervous time shaking one down and learning its quirks and such, building up a healthy respect for it capabilities and increasing confidence. 

Long ago I put a small car together from top to bottom end to end...the engine was in the front floor board, tranny in the trunk....interior looked like it was home to a goat.  But 6 months from purchase and sporting new paint I did a shake down of 1200 miles....basic maiden voyage through 4 adjoining states and back to the loss of one bolt in the shifter plate, one bad coil wire as I did not buy a new set when I built the pup and a cracked exhaust pipe readily fixed with a flex joint.  Would I do that again,  at this age, NO....back then I was invincible as was my steed....!  But I am building similar car today and would love to traverse the mountains in it some day...but I will shake her down locally.