Dodge D25 Camera Car

bamfordsgarage

The Foothills Model T Ford Club (Calgary AB) is celebrating their 50th anniversary with a three day tour out of Rocky Mountain House, AB this week. 

Wednesday is a big drive to Ram Falls... lots of gravel roads, hills and fantastic scenery.

My D25 will be the camera car for the Ram Falls outing. 

Idea at 7:00 last night, followed by conceptual mockup with existing materials. Cutting and fitting today, finish it up tomorrow. Seat anchors could be beefed up a tad.

Yee-Hawww!

1 Mock-up.jpeg

2 Hold downs.jpeg

3 Ridin' in style.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, greg g said:

Did you give some thought to using a swivel  chair?  Will the camera operator be wearing a helmet? 

I did give thought to a swivel, however that required more engineering than I have time and inclination for. 

The speeds will be modest (we are talking Model Ts here) and this chair will support someone kneeling and facing backward. 

Another requirement is that we will only use materials on hand, spend $0.00 out of pocket, and it should look like somebody dreamed it up in the ‘50s. . 

Hence my Great-Aunt Lilly’s chair, and hardwood boards that were probably stockpiled 50 years ago by my Dad.

Sadly, the bright red tie-downs give it away. 

No helmet. Chair will be strapped down as will the occupant. Most of the time ?

You may want to consider 

1) backward and forward motion when braking and tie it down in that firection

2. Even going 10-20 mph ok that contraption will be scary especially if the straps give and it starts to slide

3. wear a helmet

4. borrow a truck as the camera car and tie that contraption I to the bed rather

5 have someone take camera the camera car for us to see M

3 hours ago, wagoneer said:

You may want to consider 

1) backward and forward motion when braking and tie it down in that firection

2. Even going 10-20 mph ok that contraption will be scary especially if the straps give and it starts to slide

3. wear a helmet

4. borrow a truck as the camera car and tie that contraption I to the bed rather

5 have someone take camera the camera car for us to see M

Thank you Wagoneer. All worth considering.

1. Agree

2. I'm confident the two 1000 lb-rated straps combined with cleats (photo 2 above) will keep it in place.

3. Maybe. Goggles and ear protection for sure.

4. That would be a sensible choice.

5. Oh, you'll see pictures!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tomorrow we build.

LazyK's pic reminded me that I too have a helmet like his.............I must admit this was taken in one of my sillier moods.......andyd

Culture on the Clarence.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bamfordsgarage said:

I did give thought to a swivel, however that required more engineering than I have time and inclination for. 

The speeds will be modest (we are talking Model Ts here) and this chair will support someone kneeling and facing backward. 

Another requirement is that we will only use materials on hand, spend $0.00 out of pocket, and it should look like somebody dreamed it up in the ‘50s. . 

Hence my Great-Aunt Lilly’s chair, and hardwood boards that were probably stockpiled 50 years ago by my Dad.

Sadly, the bright red tie-downs give it away. 

No helmet. Chair will be strapped down as will the occupant. Most of the time ?

I'm pretty sure this requires a behind-the-scenes live-action video. 

11 hours ago, Andydodge said:

LazyK's pic reminded me that I too have a helmet like his.............I must admit this was taken in one of my sillier moods.......andyd

Culture on the Clarence.jpg

At lest with that you can autorotate to safety when you fly off the chair, just buckle up that shin strap lol.

To boot, googling "Riding on top of a car" results in lots of humorous images including the fact this is classified as "Car Surfing"

I found some behind the scene footage of @bamfordsgarage on the dark web:

image.png.e026beb693a9c317f4e654bc8d6f3e6f.png

Edited by wagoneer
  • Haha 1

Well, that was a ton o' fun!

Here are a few pictures. Video has been promised and I'll post more in due course.

The most enthusiastic demographic wes white-haired women.

No damage, no injuries, no attention from the authorities, tons of smiles, waves and Huh???s

IMG_3167.jpeg.92369c393e830b1cd8b67604daa819e2.jpeg

IMG_3154.jpeg.2a8488e3ca712bcfba4340f973b31c61.jpeg

IMG_3153.jpeg.467f2bc5c26e87b125143eaaabeb3bee.jpeg

IMG_3186.jpeg.76405d0199d1417b61e056e065f16248.jpeg

IMG_3202.jpeg.21cdad243027178af4a1df6ed40adb77.jpeg

• Like 5