Fuel Pump Issue?

msarnold1990

Car seems to want to start, but will not turn over. Hear popping from the carburetor and smell some fuel. 

Backstory, driving I heard a bang. Instant deceleration. It improved but when I got to a hill the car died. Had to roll back down to restart the engine.  No smoke, no oil or anything. Engine was running rough, but then smoothed out on a flat surface. 

What do you all think? Any ideas? 

“Will not turn over”.  Is your Starter not able to crank it over?  Or do you mean it will turn over by way of the starter, yet won’t fire and force the crank to turn, on its own without the starter helping it?

Sounds like possibly an ignition issue. Are you set up to properly check your spark and timing? 

Edited by keithb7

Have you checked your timing and distributor?

17 hours ago, msarnold1990 said:

So it is cranking fine and wants to start. I have a video but cannot share it. Fuel Pump is original, gas tank is almost full. Have not checked timing and distributor.  I recently replaced plugs and wires. Carb is original too. 

The fact that both carb and fuel pump are original. I would be inclined to start with the fuel system components first. 

Edited by bobdog
Grammar

How was it running before? If it was running good then all of a sudden started to run like crap, I'd look into possibly some debris in the carb. Easy enough to pop the top off and pull the jets and needles. Also, while the fuel line is off, crank it over to see if the pump is pumping. Make sure to put the end of the line in a container to capture the fuel. If that all checks out, move onto checking the ignition parts. Just a process of checking and eliminating stuff, you'll get it going. Good luck.

• Like 1

Yup was cruising on the highway at about 60-65 just fine. Then instant crap. I should mention earlier that day I accidentally ran out of gas (non working fuel gauge...and forgot to enter mileage when I last filled to keep track).  I've been thinking maybe I sucked some **** into the carb. 

14 hours ago, msarnold1990 said:

Yup was cruising on the highway at about 60-65 just fine. Then instant crap. I should mention earlier that day I accidentally ran out of gas (non working fuel gauge...and forgot to enter mileage when I last filled to keep track).  I've been thinking maybe I sucked some **** into the carb. 

I would start here and give the carb a good cleaning.