Oilite metal filter

grady hawkins

Here is a link to an article regarding the oillite bearing history an Chrysler corp. interesting topic.  Good topic for a MoPar car newsletter.

Oilite bearings and the Chrysler Amplex Division | Allpar Forums

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Thanks 1

it is very interesting on how Chrylser took the effort to develop this product. Little know fact about Chrysler, but we all knew that they were very inovative and about their engineering department.  Another one up on Furd and the BowTie developers and engineers from the mid 1930's

Rich Hartung.

I also was under the impression that Oilite bushes/bearings were just some sort of bush/bearing that had "appeared'.......good to know that they owe their existence to Mopars engineers..........a good read..........thanks, andyd 

Oilite bushings are essentially a lubricant impregnated sintered bronze material.  I can't imagine they'd need or want the lube part of it, I suspect it is just sintered bronze only made by Oilite for Chrysler.  Remember Oilite is also the name of the company.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Oilite bushings are essentially a lubricant impregnated sintered bronze material.  I can't imagine they'd need or want the lube part of it, I suspect it is just sintered bronze only made by Oilite for Chrysler.  Remember Oilite is also the name of the company.

Right, I kinda figured the same thing about not including the lube part when using as a filter.  Just interesting that they would use this type of material for a filter, but then I guess a lot of filter elements are made of porous sintered or similarly constructed materials.

I remember in the 1950s there was a kind of fad around sintered bronze filters.

Some were used as oil filters. I remember three kinds, one was a diamond shaped drop in that had around an 1/8 th inch wall thickness another was a cone shape that had a 1/4 inch wall. The last one was kind of a swindle. It was a regular filter with some grains of bronze bonded to the outside.

The longest surviving in the market place was the cone shape. I think they lasted the longest because they were easier to clean and when you cleaned them you could see they were clean. The fact that they were cheaper and easier to make might have had something to do with it too.

What most people missed about how they worked was the porosity sintered bronze has, not any other property of the metal.

Sintered metal technology has come a lot way from what the Chrysler engineers invented before the war. An example of one of the uses are “Cracked” connecting rods. The joint at the big end has always been the weak point of connecting rods. Tight fitting shoulder bolts are the tried and true method for keeping them from destructive movement. Grooves and serrations are another but the best solution has been sintered metal rods finished in every way then snapped at the joining point. The sintered metal doesn’t bend (or suffer fatigue the way solid metal does) it just breaks. The joint formed upon assembly has terrific strength because of the tiny grains fitting back together.

Sintered metal technology I fear will be slower to advance in the future as 3D printing technology takes off.

The idea of a porous metal being more ridged than a solid one is hard to understand at first. When you learn that “solid” metal is a collection of atoms with a lot of space in between them it gets easier.