Turn Signals

Conn47D24

Hello all,

I did have the turn signals working fine for a while. 

Today both left & right  FLASHING  when I switch either way.

BOTH blinking at once, front and rear.

I've looked for loose wires but noting yet.

Any thoughts on what would power BOTH rather that Left OR  Right ??

Thanks

Clay

Clay are each front light wired seperately or are they connected via a junction block like a headlight junction block.  Maybe both front connector are touching each other and then when you turn the right signal on the current is also going to both turn signal lamps.

Hey do you stil need the Pin tool i had to find my spare set.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

3 hours ago, Conn47D24 said:

Hi Rich,  Good idea to check the forward junction blocks.  It's a nest of wires .  I'll check if any are touching.

Bring it to Hershey in October.  Getting close !

OK will do see you at OAD7&8

rich

Make sure you have really good grounds on the lights. I had that problem with rear lights after painting and the bezels were not touching bare metal so the bulb was not grounded to the body. I scraped a bit of paint off on the inside of the fender so the bezel attachment bolts sat on bare metal. Worked for me but you might have other issues. 

• Thanks 1

If your car doesn't have a body to ground cable wire or strap, install one. Can be as simple as a couple strands of 10 gauge wire twisted together and attached to a handy bolt on the firewall and attached to the frame, engine or bell housing.  The other thing to look at is the size of the wiring going to the lamp. Alot of these aftermarket switches were installed by previous owners with skinny wire suitable for 12v applications.  Even though the switch is voltage neutral, the bulbs require 2x the amps 9f 12v apps..  Typically the wires coming out of the switch are fine for six volt, but to continue the circuit out to the lamp, installers used 16 gauge and it is undersized.  You will be better off replacing those runs with 12 gauge wire.  Both runs are pretty close to the longest ones in the car and each bulb is fwanting 7 amps.  With resistance due to length of run and several connections, might be as high as 12 amps per fixture.  Not the job for 16 gauge wire.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I did lots of painting.  Will double check grounds at bulb sockets. 

I'll add a ground strap too.  Good possibility these will do it as I had them working correctly for awhile.

Will my LED bulbs make any difference with the wire gauge that came in my harness?

9 hours ago, Conn47D24 said:

Yes, I did lots of painting.  Will double check grounds at bulb sockets. 

I'll add a ground strap too.  Good possibility these will do it as I had them working correctly for awhile.

Will my LED bulbs make any difference with the wire gauge that came in my harness?

No but usually LED bulbs require specific voltage to turn on unlike incandescent bulbs. Typically they won't work due to voltage drop through connectors and switches.

Simple solution is a small cheap voltage boost circuits for each LED. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313621202970?epid=17008650258&hash=item490547c81a:g:ZXIAAOSwaH9hA-SG

Clay: Suggestion on the front turn signal bulbs take out the LED bulbs and put inthe regular bulbs and see if that corrects the issue. I have heard that the use of LED bulbs in all four lights can have issues and this might be the pbm.

Rich Hartung

• Thanks 1