Sill Mat Suggestions for P15 4DR

tollertdi

Has anyone bought the repro Sill Mats made of urethane plastic that do not have the metal backing?  These are available from Plymouth Doctor and Bernbaum's and are a glue-on type installation.

Any other options?  Heard Hunley Acuff is no longer in business.

heres what I did. I took a commericial black vinyl coveing and cut my own and glue them down on the sill with (smooth side up)  and radius edge down facing the door.  think I used liquid nails as adhesive. Looks damn good and not $450 a pair (come on!)

I bought a set of two sill plates (for my P15 convertible) made of a plastic-y looking rubber material, which glue in, and are very original looking in 2014 from

a company called Innovative Design Associates, Inc at 4515 Kircaldy Road,  Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304.  (248) 646-0158.  The person

I dealt with was Diran Yazejian    djyaz@yahoo.com.  Met him at the Hershey swap meet back in 2014.  Price, as I recall was a bit over $250 for the pair.

101_8023.jpg

Actually, I have never installed them......as my originals are really not too bad.  I have the new set on the shelf for some future time as needed.  They did tell me to not glue down the inner edge to the carpet so it can be pulled out from under the sill plate if need to get to the master cylinder or anything which is under the carpet. 

Another name I found (from 2018) is Dennis Bickford  (575)  443-1132.  Don't know any more about him.   My note says probably $450 for a pair with metal back and 1 row of studs. 

I would think an enterprising fellow with a talent for making things could perhaps team up with a moulding person who could make the rubber portion and the other guy could make a metal back with studs welded to it for attaching....just like the originals. ....then stick them together with some high powered  glue. 

You can probably still buy ball studs and can still get the rubber donuts which go into the holes in the body.  Sorry I don't Have a better answer.  Bob.

Edited by BobT-47P15

If you want to fabricate your own sill mats, rubber.cal has three composite rib designs. I have one picked for a trunk mat. Click on garage flooring. 

To assist someone who isn't concerned with originality, here are the sills I made from running board rubber. The front is the new one, the rear either original or a reproduction. I can't find the eBay vendor where I bought the material but here is something similar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200416841509?hash=item2ea9c64f25:g:-FsAAMXQ9MVRhdZx

I bought material wide enough to split to make two sills. The original, rusted metal sills were removed and aluminum sheet riveted in their place. The rubber was glued to the aluminum.

seat-1.jpg.8d991d804b3f11f4b24e35d324eb8bf2.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 2