Head Bolts

Doing some research on head bolts and I'm wondering people's opinions.

$3 a piece at Vintage Power Wagon

About $35 for a box of 25 Pioneer brand from Summit Racing, which I believe I've seen being suggested in the past.

It's my understanding they have to have the taper to prevent some kind of freezing from rust.

Other options / suggestions?

I believe the summit ones have a different head so if you are going for the OEM look they won't work for you. Yes the bolts need to have an undercut shank to avoid rusting into the head.

• Like 1

I do see the difference, I do want to go for the 'original' look.

just not sure what that is. Without going out to the crates and 

looking at all the other engine head bolts I have, the ones out

of the original engine look like the Pioneers. (on the right)

But who's to say they are the originals after  70 years.

1997738823_Untitled-1copy_1600x721.jpg.b3a317e659ca613894c3d4fdd9c99962.jpg

I am guessing the ones from Vic's are like the originals, the heads look larger? VPW and Andy Bernbaum do not have good photos.

I'll have to look into this more and call Vic.

12 hours ago, billrigsby said:

Doing some research on head bolts and I'm wondering people's opinions.

$3 a piece at Vintage Power Wagon

About $35 for a box of 25 Pioneer brand from Summit Racing, which I believe I've seen being suggested in the past.

It's my understanding they have to have the taper to prevent some kind of freezing from rust.

Other options / suggestions?

hindsight I wish I had popped for the $3 per at VPW....

I would think either of those would look correct when painted up and installed. The few I looked at were a plain head with an R on them. Would the originals have a DPCD head? Not sure....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I would think either of those would look correct when painted up and installed. The few I looked at were a plain head with an R on them. Would the originals have a DPCD head? Not sure....

I'd have to dig mine out to look...could also check PUMA's engine I guess later today.

I think the Summit bolts are made for the small block Chevys.   They use an 11/16ths head because of the need for clearance around the head on the V8.  a 3/4 socket wouldn't fit in some places on them, especially an impact socket.  I'm not particularly concerned about appearance but would use a grade 8 washer on my six if I needed bolts. Just to spread the load from the smaller bolt head more evenly.

• Like 1

Thr pioneer bolts are very similar if not the same as the Summit.  I have posted pictures and part numbers several times.  You might want to search for headbolts under my member posts.

Edited by greg g

7 hours ago, kencombs said:

I think the Summit bolts are made for the small block Chevys.   They use an 11/16ths head because of the need for clearance around the head on the V8.  a 3/4 socket wouldn't fit in some places on them, especially an impact socket.  I'm not particularly concerned about appearance but would use a grade 8 washer on my six if I needed bolts. Just to spread the load from the smaller bolt head more evenly.

I checked a few of the old ones I had laying around and they were also 11/16 head

This is what I always seem to see on original 23" engines.

My 1952 Belvedere had the same depressed head style in 1972 when I rebuilt the engine.

20210826_183829_compress59.jpg

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

This is what I always seem to see on original 23" engines.

My 1952 Belvedere had the same depressed head style in 1972 when I rebuilt the engine.

20210826_183829_compress59.jpg

Digging through my pile I had a bunch like that although yours appears to have an M in the middle and I had A. Then I had a bunch of smooth headed ones with TR raised in the center. 

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

Digging through my pile I had a bunch like that although yours appears to have an M in the middle and I had A. Then I had a bunch of smooth headed ones with TR raised in the center. 

I think I have some TR bolts too.

A   -  American

M  -  Michigan

R   -  Republic or Rockford

TR - Towne Robbins

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got my head bolts, ordered them a few days before the last Holiday,

arrived this week, no urgency on Vic's part, but I was not in a rush.....

427498246_84Newheadbolts.jpg.7686b7a9bbfc184dffab3f2c4a5087ef.jpg

.....a seed and fertilizer spreader for the tractor kind of got in the way of this project

2006017407_2Front.JPG.20c8fc921b99cd6e957625514e10a17d.JPG