Battery for a 1936 4-door Plymouth Touring Sedan

Faulkner

In a couple of weeks, I'll be visiting a friend with a '36 Touring, siphoning out the old gas after clearing the fuel pump and gas line, and hoping to get it started with fresh gas.  He suspects it will need a new 6V battery.  Is there an equivalent available at Autozone or PepBoys?  What to ask for?

Thanks

Dan

The normal is a 6v group one.  You might be better off to look at Tractor Supply, Runnings, Farm and Fleet or similar.  Also look for interstate battery warehouses, or battery world,they  usually handles exide.  Napa usually can get them also.  Also note you are working on a positive ground system, and 6volt likes 0 gauge primary cables.  I believe the battery is under the floor under the driver's seat.  Make sure when you install the battery into the box, nothing metal willaccidently connect the posts or clamps when you get it in the box.  You are looking for at least 700 cold cranking amps rating.  Last one I bought 2 years ago was a preditor brand for 79.00 bucks.

Edited by greg g

On 8/23/2021 at 11:58 PM, greg g said:

The normal is a 6v group one... I believe the battery is under the floor under the driver's seat.

Correct, that's the battery location.  Any 6V battery will do?  When I replaced the 6V in my '54 Suburban, the one I got at AutoZone was considerably shorter than the one it replaced.  So I know there's at least two sizes/types!

I was hoping to pick up the battery before I got to his house.  The last thing I want to have happen, is to buy it, get there, and find it doesn't fit.

There is a group 2 which is just a bit longer but I've run a 1 where a 2 belonged and it was hardly noticeable. 1 seems to be a bit easier to find. Consumer oriented places (AutoZone, WalMart, Pep Boys) won't have them but NAPA, a decent independent auto parts store, a starter & alternator place, or of course places that cater to farmers, they'll have them. Went to a starter/alternator place one time and they sold so many he had them by the pallet!

Hi all,

I've been shopping for a group 2 6v battery. NAPA has them, and O'Reilly's has them. Both are house brands. Interstate Battery also makes one, and my local NAPA can order it. All were about the same price. The group 2s have higher cranking amps and cold cranking amps than the group 1s.

I have a NOS battery box for my 1939 Plymouth. Original called for a group 1. I test fit a NAPA group 2 battery and it fit in the box with a bit of room to spare.

Below is a max size chart for 6v batteries. As shown, group 1 and 2 have the same dimensions for height & width. The length is a bit longer.

Passenger Car and Light Commercial Batteries (6 Volt / 3 Cells):

BCI
Group Number

L
(inches)

W
(inches)

H
(inches)

L
(mm)

W
(mm)

H
(mm)

9-1/8

7-1/8

9-3/8

10-3/8

7-1/8

9-3/8

2E

19-7/16

4-1/8

9-1/8

2N

5-9/16

8-15/16

17HF

7-3/8

6-7/8

19L

8-1/4

6-3/4

7-1/2

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT7204?impressionRank=1

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/fleet-heavy-duty/super-start-fleet-heavy-duty-battery-group-size-2/ssb5/2?q=group+2+6v+battery&pos=0

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/2-XHD

Pete

• Like 1

To add to what to @Pete just added.

If you get an AC Delco brand or AC Delco based generic/store brand they are different size then the more common ones Pete just gave dimensions for. I just purchashed a group 2 - AC Delco based store brand battery it is longer and taller than the typical group 1's. Need to get new battery cables, too tight to hook up.

This is from the AC Delco Spec. Sheet: (Height from Top of Case - add .75" or 18mm for Top of Post)

1850090528_Screenshot2021-08-26073504.jpg.975b1d19f9129c23a4de994c063100a6.jpg

Edited by ccudahy